hp 3322 suddenly won't recognize cartridge

Started by cincy5dad, March 08, 2004, 12:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincy5dad

When I was printing last night, I noticed the printer really slowing down. I was multitasking so I figured that was the reason. The printing was the lesser of my concerns, so I turned it off.
When I turned it back on, the on/off light was flashing and the printer failed to recognize my fairly new cartridge. It was telling me to be sure to remove the protective tape from a new cartridge. I don't know to do. I put in an older and almost empty cartridge, and it recognized it with no problem.
Any ideas???
Thanks,
Andy
 :-[

deedee

New cartridges come with a protective tape that must be removed. The tape prevents the toner (which is a very fine powder) from leaking.

Take out the new cartridge and look for a flap or tab. You should be able to easily move it up and down (or side to side, depending on how you're looking at it). Grab that flap or tab and pull firmly. A plastic tape, the length of the cartridge, is attached to it and should pull out (there might be some resistance).

Reinstall the cartridge, and your printer should now recognize it and print normally.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

cincy5dad

I removed the protective tape months ago. :-[

Forum Admin

Andy,

Check that the copper contacts on the cartridge are clean. You can use a drop of alcohol or cigarette lighter fluid, meths, etc., to do this.

Check that the cartridge isn't empty. That the nozzles aren't clogged (I sometimes need to do this as one of my printers only rarely gets used - dampen a tissue and draw the nozzles over it and check the ink flows freely).

You could also be using one of the newer cartridges that only runs for a set time. This may not apply to your cartridge type, and I think the life is something like two years, but it's possible. If you do have one of these cartridges and it's failed early you should be able to return it.

Failing all of that, it's good bye cartridge and the cost of a new one.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups