News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

Error Message From Word 2003: "The macros in this project are disabled"

Started by Clueless, May 05, 2019, 07:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clueless

After all these years, this morning I finally got around to taking the WordStar Command Emulator for a test drive.  I only needed it for a single command,  ^QS, and I figured it would be easier to just install the emulator than trying to figure out how to create a Word macro that required linking three keyboard strokes to a Word command.

The installation instructions were easy to follow.  But when I restarted Word, and then tried out the ^QS command, I got this error message.

---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Basic
The macros in this project are disabled.  Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros.
OK   Help   

I'd be grateful for some help in getting that command to work, since that's the only command that I really need.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

P.S.  Over the years I've gotten into the habit of using the Windows ^Z undo command.   I just now discovered that that command is also disabled since installing the Wordstar emulator.  So maybe what I really need is some coaching in how to write a ^QS macro for Word, rather than trying to get the emulator to work.

Forum Admin

Word has macro security enabled by default. Checks to follow for Word 2007 or 2010 are listed below. If you have an earlier version you'll find similar settings, to those I describe below, under the Tools, Options menu, or the Tools, Macros, Macro Security menu.

1. Check the program is installed in the STARTUP folder:

• Click the Office button (big round button at the top left of the Word window)
  • Click the Word Options button at the bottom of the menu
  • Click the Advanced item in the left menu bar, then scroll to the end of the advanced options page
  • Click the File Locations button
  • Select the Startup item under File types, and then click Modify
  • In the Look in box, check that the STARTUP folder path is the location where you installed the program.
    Note: You can drag and drop the program into the large box under the Look in box, but you won't be able to see an icon for it.
  • Click Cancel then click Close, and then click Cancel to close all the dialog boxes

2. Check the STARTUP folder is trusted:

• Click the Trust Center item in the left menu bar
  • Click the Trust Center Settings button
  • Click the Trusted Locations item in the left menu bar
  • Ensure that the STARTUP folder identified in (1) is listed in the large box under the Path
  • If the STARTUP folder isn't listed, click Add new location and then type the location of the STARTUP folder into the Path box, or click Browse and browse for it. Then click OK to add the folder to the list of trusted locations
  • Click OK and then click OK to save the list of trusted locations

3. Check that un-signed add-ins are allowed:

• Click the Trust Center item in the left menu bar
  • Click the Trust Center Settings button
  • Click the Add-ins item in the left menu bar
  • Ensure that the Require Application Add-ins to be signed by Trusted Publisher is not selected
  • Click OK and then click OK again to save any setting changes

I suspect that (3) may be the cause of your problems, but please do check the other two sets of steps as well.

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Clueless

What a nice surprise to find a reply to the query I posted here last May!

Apparently I don't have my account set up to notify me via email when a reply is posted in the threads I start here.

Many thanks, for that exhaustive troubleshooting checklist.  But it turns out I probably won't be needing it after all, because Forum Admin. Mike posted instructions in the WordStar Discussion forum showing me how to     
assign the "Home" key in Word 2003 to a Ctrl+Q+S keyboard shortcut.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"