How do I know if MY WS ver is DOS or Windows?

Started by MrSafety, December 08, 2014, 04:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrSafety

Believe it or not I live in Marin County, CA and was a beta-tester for WordStar many years ago, but... have NOT used WordStar for ages.  Right now I'm trying to help a friend who is still hanging onto an old ACER desktop PC that is:
(a) clearly operating under Windows 95 !
(b) he then runs a WordStar Version that clearly states it is "Version 7.0, Rev. A"
Even at age 70 I still remember a lot about WordStar but not in the context of running under Windows 95!??

I think what I'm seeing is a DOS version of WordStar (7A) and it is running under DOS emulation under Windows 95!
When I view his WordStar it is NOT in color despite the fact he has a color monitor !
Q1 - Does this sound plausible... a DOS version running under Windows 95 ??

My friend's computer canNOT access it 1.44mb floppy drive and it also looks like his motherboard is starting to fail!
If it fails he would be lost for he's too old to start over with both a new computer and new wordprocessing program!
IF I'm right about this being a DOS version running under Windows 95, then I'm planning to build a new computer and either relocate his hard drive OR mirror-image copy his hard drive to the new computer!

An help will be most appreciated!

Sam Ross... aka MrSafety
P.S. ... My GOD it's hard to read your Verification letters!

Forum Admin

If you get a new computer for your friend you'll probably need to use something like DOSBox to get WordStar running as it was on Windows 95.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

MrSafety

1/ My friend's Acer started dieing but I still have it working...
2/ but as a backup I have picked up a much newer (but "refurbished") Gateway computer...
3/ I have installed his WordStar (for DOS) and it is running (in DOS ) under Windows XP...
4/ Thus far I only have one "bug" that I believe is WS software in origin...
     when we initially open a file the window does NOT us the full height of the screen...
     and when I try to use the classic command ^OM to change window size,
     we see an error message to the effect that there is NOT enough memory or a 2nd "Half Screen"
     has not been set up yet.   NOTE - This same WS program does not have this problem
     running on his old-&-dieing ACER computer...
     and my friend is NOT much help!
     Q - Is there another classic control (^) or dot (.) command that will resolve this
           half-sized single window problem ?
Sam Ross