Windows 10 / 32-bit

Started by Forum Admin, October 25, 2019, 10:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Admin

Dan Ford
Thu 20/06/2019

I don't know if there's still anyone out there, but good day to anyone who is!

I find that I must upgrade to Windows 10 before the end of the year, and that it should be 64-bit. (TurboTax will no longer run on Windows 7, and no future upgrade of another important program will run on a 32-bit machine.)

Will Vdos and Wordstar run on 64-bit, as they have done very successfully on Windows 7 32-bit?

Thanks - Dan

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Forum Admin

dmccunney

Yes. There is nothing about the change to 64 bit or Win10 that makes a difference. I run vDOSPlus supporting an assortment of old DOS applications under 64bit Win10 Pro here, and have for some time.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Forum Admin

Dan Ford
20/06/2019

Excellent, thank you! I will start looking at Dell computers, much as I hate to change things.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Forum Admin

Paul Gipe
20/06/2019

Dan,

I've been using Michael Petrie's Word addin for a decade now and it's served my purposes quite well in Win 7 and Win 10. I've written two or three books on it.

Paul

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Forum Admin

dmccunney
20/06/2019

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 11:06 AM Daniel Ford wrote:
Excellent, thank you! I will start looking at Dell computers, much as I hate to change things.

You're welcome. I *do* strongly recommend win10 *Pro* over Win10 Home.

And Dell isn't the only place to look. My current Win10 desktop machine is a refurbished ex-corporate desktop machine from HP. It came with a quad-core Inter i5-2400 CPU running at 3.1-3.4 ghz, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SATA HD. I added a 240GB SSD originally bought for another machine which I cloned Win10 to and set as boot drive, and have added a USB3 PCI-e card (since ti didn't have USB3 on the motherboard), USB3 hub, and a Bluetooth dongle. I had also swapped in an ATI graphics card bought for a different system, but the onboard Intel HD2000 graphics were *better*, so it got removed and is in a parts drawer.

The original refurb HP cost $250. :-)

Win10 *does* rearrange the Windows UI again. It brings back the Start menu dropped in Win 8.1, but in the spirit of fixing what wasn't broken, rearranged it. I run Classic Shell, an open source Start menu replacement. By default, it looks and acts like Win7's Start menu. See http://www.classicshell.net/. (Classic Shell is no longer under development, but still works fine. The code has been forked to a new open source effort called OpenShell, with a new release that may fix a recent problem. Start with Classic Shell, and then look at https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/ if interested.)
______
Dennis
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site