Changing Screen color in WS 7 for DOS

Started by lord_horn_asstr, June 03, 2014, 10:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lord_horn_asstr

Hello,

My first post here, kindly excuse any mistakes.

I own WS4.0 and WS7.0. Both for DOS. The 7.0 was recently acquired.

I am used to the serene typing at night, lights off, in black and white (mono, not coloured) screen of WS4. However, opening WS 7.0 was shocking because it emulates the horrid Microsoft EDIT colors - Blue screen and white characters.

Can some kind soul guide me to ensuring that I can run WS 7 in a mono mode (that is, without colors) or, at least help me change colors from Blue/White combo to the more peaceful Black/white combo?

Thanks and best regards

Forum Admin

In a DOS window

Firstly, make a copy of WS.EXE, for example, assuming your WS folder is named WS, type:

cd WS
copy WS.EXE WS-SAFE.EXE

dir WS*.EXE

You should now have both a WS.EXE and a WS-SAFE.EXE.

We will use a further copy of WS.EXE called WSMONO.EXE to play with the screen colours, leaving your original WS.EXE as a master backup.

Start WSCAHNGE by typing:

WSCHANGE

In WSCHANGE, press ENTER to select to modify WS.EXE.

In the next screen, in the box, type WSMONO.EXE and then press ENTER. This will save any changes into a new version of WordStar called WSMONO.EXE.

In the WSCHANGE Main Menu screen, type A. The Console Menu will open.

In the Console Menu, type B to open the Video Attributes Menu.

In the Video Attributes Menu, type E, and then press ENTER to select the Standard Monochrome option, and then type X three times to close the menus, and then type Y to save the changes.

To test your changes, type WSMONO

If you want to set individual colours, select option A in the Video Attributes Menu, otherwise proceed as before.

If you want to return to your original settings just type WS.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

lord_horn_asstr

This is AWESOME, Mike. It works EXACTLY as you said it would. Now, I can craft my long stories in peace, in the flicker of the computer monitor and nothing else.

Marry me!

:)

Thank you so much, again.

Regards

Forum Admin

I'll pass on the marriage offer, thanks. You're welcome, glad to have been of assistance.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups