News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

convert wordstar 6 or 7 to Word or txt

Started by Joe-Graham, December 07, 2011, 06:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe-Graham

Is anyone still using this site who could help me with this?

Forum Admin

I would suggest that you start by trying either Star Exchange from within WordStar, or the Microsoft Word Supplimentary File Conversion filter for WordStar.

I used to have the instructions for both on the WordStar Resource Site main pages until I had to change hosts and decided to rebuild the site. I'll try to get these two added again quickly.

The Word conversion filter will work with recent versions of Word, but hasn't been officially supported for several years. You can download it from either Microsoft's ftp site, or from the WordStar Resource site downloads section.

A third option is the HABiT WordStar converter, also available in the WordStar Resource site downloads section. A description of this program is available.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Joe-Graham

Mike
Thanks very much for your help. It worked and I'm reading files I have wanted to open for a very long time. I started using Wordstar on a cp/m system and thought I would never leave it but then one day I discovered I'd stopped using it so long ago that I had even lost the means of translating it. Thankfully, in the old days of the 5 1\4 floppies, I had converted the cp/m to dos.
Some of the files ask me what encoding I want and I discovered that Western European (IA5) is best. Others of the same files don't give me a choice and use Western European (DOS), which seems incapable of handling some of the letters. The problem is compounded a bit by the fact that many of the files use Wordstar instructions for printing French diacritical marks. I suspect that I will find how to convert them eventually, so I will hang onto those ones in Wordstar for now.
Sincere thanks again, -Joe

Forum Admin

Hi Joe,

Which option did you choose to do the conversions?
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Joe-Graham

Deepest apologies, Mike. I never saw your question until now for whatever reason but the best one for me, using Windows 7 and Office 2000 was HABiT called wsconv.exe. It worked very well.
Thanks again and thanks to Henry Bartlett.
-Joseph

Forum Admin

Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for letting everyone know.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site