News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

Not Editing - Problem

Started by WSUSER, December 12, 2002, 11:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WSUSER

I have a Word Star version from the 80's.  I haven't used it for awhile.  For some reason it will not allow me to save any new changes to word star files.  Above the OPENING MENU it says "not editing".  What do I need to do to change this program so that I can make and save changes? ???  Please respond to my E-mail address;
tolynnebridges@msn.com

Forum Admin

Hi,

Is it WordStar 3 by any chance? If you can let us know the WordStar version and whether you're using it on s DOS computer or under Windows, and if so which version. The size of your hard disk may also be important.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

WSUSER

Dear Mike,
I recently transferred my old hard drive info. to my new hard drive.  I have to access the WS program by going into Start, Programs, MSFT DOS prompt.  I then change to the directory my WS program is in and enter WS.  It goes directly into the WS Opening Menu and doesn't  tell me what WS version it is.  I originally got this program in 1985 or 1986.  I can creat and save new files but it won't let me edit any files and make changes like I used to.  I would really like to be able to call someone who would be familiar with this program.
Please help.  I can be reached at (503)450-9918.

Forum Admin

Can you look in your WordStar directory and tell me if you have a WS.COM or a WS.EXE.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

WSUSER

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your responses.  Yes, I have a WS.COM but no WS.EXE.  There is an MS.EXE in the directory.  The program is Wordstar Version 3.30
When I make changes to files and hit Control KX it will not save the changes like it used to.  What's wrong?
I checked all the files and none of them are read only.
Is there a phone number I may call for help?

Most sincerely,  Lynn

Forum Admin

Hi Lynn,

WordStar 3.3 will have problems on some versions of Microsoft Windows, and with large hard drive partitions. I suspect that in replacing your hard disk you now have much more space available on the C: drive.

Have a look at the following article from the WordStar for DOS FAQ pages: http://www.wordstar.org/wsdos/pages/ws3win9x.htm.

This, I think, will match your situation. I realise that you may need to reinstall everything or buy a new program to get this fix to work.

Let us know once you've read the FAQ page.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

PGAGA

Tuesday 21 January 2003

My recommendation would be  to  try  WSedit/Wsformat which will edit in a way similar to WS3 and enable access to  Windows printers.  The other optioin is VDE the free DOS text editor which can handle WS3 files.

Phil

Mycroft

WS 3.3 was written at a time when Microsoft had hard coded 32MB partitions into the then versions of MS-DOS.

Like a previous problem with WS3.3, Micropro figured space remaining by subtracting space used from a number only large enough to contain 32MB.  With today's drives, that is a drop in the bucket.

The only way I can think of to make it work is to build yourself a 32 MB disk partion to use the WS 3.3 in.  This still may not work because the directory structure went thru major changes to handle the new partition sizes.

Alternatively, you could try saving the files to floppy disks, which may still use an old form of the directory structure.

deedee

Just a note if you decide to go the floppy diskette route -- don't ever open those diskettes under any mswindows that uses 32 bits.

Apparently, as soon as a diskette is opened under a 32-bit mswindows, mswindows alters the file system to accept long file names (even though it maintains the 16-bit structure). This can mess up old legacy software, because the diskette's file system (everything lives on a file system) is changed to something it doesn't recognize.

I've not heard that any version of WS was susceptible to this problem. But, since you're having problems, there's no reason to take chances.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485