News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

Help with "multi-user" system

Started by Angus, April 09, 2003, 12:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angus

I am currently using Wordstar 4.0 on two seperate computers.  My goal is to network them so two of us can write and edit together (taking turns on same doc.)

I know that options for this are available in WSchange, but I do not have an original manual - only the incomplete aftermarket "WORDSTAR 4.0 Made Easy".

I did purchase a licensed copy of the program, but it came disks only, and so suggestions of where to get an original manual would be appreciated.

The two computers are a 386 with 40 meg hard drive (please don't laugh - it still works great!) and a Pentium 2 / Windows Mil. which helps me to feel a part of the new century...

I know that these two must be cabled - and I assume I need some kind of network software (or not?).  I plead my ignorance here and would greatly appreciate some help in determing the feasability of connecting the two.

As a writer I am still very happy with WS4 and do not wish to change to a world of pretty pictures and icons from something I know comfortably and which meets my needs.

Thanks for any help you can give...

Angus

ostrowlaw

I have been confortably running Wordstar 7.0 for DOS on my Novell Network for at least 10 years.  Prior to that we used various versions of Wordstar (I know we had a 4.0 version which was networked) but I can't tell you how long ago that was.

Obviously, you need to network your computers.  You will also need to get a NETWORKED version of Wordstar if you wish to share the copies.  There really is no reason to do this however, as Wordstar is out of business and there do not seem to be any issues as far as license requirements.  So, the non-networked versions are easier (take a look at my discussion regarding getting my Preview to work).  Networking complicates your tasks.

If you still want to do it, get a networked version to simplify your life.  Put the share copy on your "server" or whatever machine you are using as your main machine.  You will need to set your drive mappings so that WS knows where to look for the files.  The instruction manual will advise you how to do this.

Alan

Forum Admin

And for manuals, or the LAN version you'll probably need to keep looking out for it on eBay.

If just LAn manuals will do you, I know someone who may still have a set for WordStar 6. Let me know if you're interested in them and I'll put you both in touch.

Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups