DOS WS6 Page Preview under W98

Started by Jim, February 19, 2003, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Admin

When you install Windows 98 it renames your autoexec.bat, config.sys, command.com and a couple of other files to have a .dos file extension. It will leave a modified copy of autoexec.bat and config.sys intact for compatability reasons, but in general doesn't need them - unless you don't use a US keyboard.

When you choose to boot into DOS, the files are swapped back again, so you have the correct autoexec.bat, config.sys, and command.com, (IO.sys and msdos.sys or ibmdos.sys are others). The Windows 98 versions will be changed to .win until you boot back into Windows, when the swap will happen again.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

ostrowlaw

I'm glad to see you solved your problem with Preview.  I'm running Windows ME on a Netware 4.1 Network.  I have tried all the fixes you tried, including the video selection default.  Still no luck.

The same settings work fine a on a standalone machine, just won't work on a Netware network (although everything else works fine.)

I'm destined to failure on this I think...........

>:(

Forum Admin

Hi,

Autoexec.dos and config.dos are the versions that will be used if you boot Win9x into DOS mode. Windows will rename the .bat and .sys files to .win, and then rename the .dos files to .bat and .sys respectively. It reverses the process when you next boot into Windows - unless it all goes horribly wrong in the process  >:(

Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups