News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

NEED HELP VIEWING FILES IN WORDSTAR

Started by james1563, July 12, 2003, 11:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james1563

Hi. My mother used Wordstar for her geneology and has disks with the information backed up on the m but her ancient computer crashed and i can not open the files in word or any other windows program. Can anyone help me figure out how i can just open up the program and print it or possibly convert it to word??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at slolem95@earthlink.net.  Thanks

PGAGA

Saturday 12 July 2003

First, you need to install the convertor pack for the version of Word  you are  using.

Second, the WS files can be in two formats which are distinguished by the use of the extensions  WS4 and WS7.  Word uses the extensions as  a  switch to tell Word  which format to use to import the file.  Test a file with a switch extension and see if it works.

Phil

Forum Admin

Have a look at this page on the Web site http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm then select which version of Word you're using and follow the instructions there. As Phil says you'll need to install the filter pack for your version of Word. The page I've given the link for has links to the filter pack downloads on Microsoft's Web site.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups