News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

Off topic: how to change print screen LPT

Started by 311doslover, July 21, 2003, 01:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

311doslover

Asked this question on the original boards, and no one gave me a solution.  Have also posted the question on several computer info boards, to no avail.
Added an additonal hardware parallel port to my motherboard, and it named itself LPT1. This knocked out the print screen cabability, as the printers are now on LPT2 (the original parallel port).
Had no trouble changing the printer port to LPT2 for Word Star and Win3.11, but have been unable to find out what file to modify in DOS to get the print screen key to work on LPT2.
Anyone have any ideas?
This was an extremely handy function,  I miss it, and have no substitute.  Do have software for this funtion in Win 98.  Used it as a Word Star format  teaching tool (for those poor souls working for me, only able to use Word and Word Perfect) and in my DOS accounting.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Forum Admin

Hi,

No guarantees, but in your DOS window, before starting WordStar, try typing the following:

MODE LPT1:=LPT2:
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

311doslover

Hi Mike,
sorry, but it tells me =LPT2: is an invalid parameter.

Went to dos book, and that method is given to change a LPT driver to a COM port driver, so don't understand why it doesn't like switching lpt1 to lpt2.
Do think this is set in some dos file.
Thanks.
Eva

deedee

I don't have any foolproof suggestions because it's very hard finding utilities these days for win3x systems.

Have you tried using Alt-Prt Sc and capturing the output to the Clipboard, then copying it to a win3x application, or using Inset with WS to capture and convert the screen from the Clipboard and print it using WS?

You may find screen capture software included with some of your older applications. Graphics applications sometimes came with it -- I have software from IMSI called Graphics Conversions which included a screen capture capability. Also, my DOS and Win3x copies of PCTools included screen capture functions.

I mention these because it appears you can send the output of various applications to the printer. The problem is that you can't send it directly using Prt Sc. It would entail some extra steps, but it might solve your problem.

I'm assuming you already tried to reinstall the new parallel port to LPT2 and that didn't work.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

311doslover

dee dee,
My primary concern is in the DOS accounting program, never had the PC tools.  Is that something that might be available on the PC mag. site?
Could probably find something for win 3.11 somewhere, but rarely need the utility in that program, and can use the cliplboard as you mentioned.
Unforturately have no clue how to reinstall the parallel port to change the LPT designations.   This was done by my so called guru, and he wouldn't try to switch it around when I asked.  (He is not DOS sympathetic.at all.)
Of course the problem doesn't exist in my Win 98 harddrive, and do have a utility for capture, but this is not a DOS utility.
Eva

deedee

Hi Eva,

I was thinking that maybe you were using the DOS accounting program in a win3.11 window. If so, that would you give access to another window with Paint or some other win3x program that could receive the image from the clipboard and allow you to print it.

However, if you're using the accounting program in pure DOS you wouldn't have access to either another program that would print the image or even to the clipboard itself. You would need a DOS utility.

PCTools was a very popular program in its day, so it is possible that there is a copy being sold on eBay or something. It included a file manager and a package of utilities. The screen capture application was part of the utilities package.

I just did a quick google and found a site
http://www.pc-tools.net/dos/freeware/dosutils/ with some DOS utilities that include a screen capture utility that prints to a file (which you can then use WS or some other DOS program -- possibly even the accounting program -- to print) as well as a screen dump utility which issues a print screen plus an eject output command to the printer.

Since you've been able to get applications to use LPT2, you may be able to get this little application to use it as well.

I don't know anything about this site and doubt that it has any connection with Central Point Software which was the company that created and sold PC Tools.

However, it does include a DOS screen capture utility which you may find helpful if you only use the accounting program under pure DOS.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

311doslover

Deedee
Thanks, will look into this.
Eva