News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

WordStar 7 upgrade !!!

Started by kzfisher, October 18, 2003, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kzfisher

I just purchased a copy of WordStar 7.0 but it is revision A. I have the text book 7.0c -  Did TLC ever make a set of upgrade disks or do I have to try and find a full 7.0D set? -  Do I even need 7.0d with what I have? This is frustrating trying to find dead software when the company is defunct. Who owns the source to WS anyway

???

Forum Admin

Hi,

There were upgrade disk sets available. You can still get these from an Indian company (thyey also have an office in the USA). Have a look at the where to buy WordStar page on this site http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/where.htm for WordStar for DOS 7 and Vasant Agrawal. Buying from either location will cost you $50 total, including shipping.

Whether you need 7.0d will depend, I suggest, on whether or not 7.0 is giving you problems. 7.0d included bug fixes, but I don't know of a public domain list of what these were. It included some updated printer drivers, many of which are on the WordStar for DOS download section of this site. It also added support for the Windows clipboard, which will work in Windows 3.1x, 9x, and Me, but not 3.0, NT, 2000, or XP.

The source code for the core program is now owned by the Irish company RiverDeep. Some parts were licenced from other vendors who still hold the rights to those parts.

I hope this helps.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

kzfisher

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've made contact with the company in India about a week ago. They gave me their US rep address too. I've e-mailed them but nothing back yet.

I did get a six manuals and a menu sheet with my e-bay purchase, which was a nice bonus. The 7.0 disk were on 5 1/4 which were all still good! I copied them over to a 3.5 20 disk set.  fortunately some intelligent soul put the sn inside the cover of the main manual.

If I pay $50 for the 7.0D set - just curious - anyone know the price for the original upgrade disk set from 7.0A to 7.0D ?

Forum Admin

Hi,

What you'll actually be paying is $25 for the WS7.0d disk set, and a boxed WSWin 2.0 (or at least they used to have them bundled together), plus $25 shipping. If you get the WSWin and don't want it you can advertise it on the buy and sell board here, or of course on eBay.

The last time disks were available from "WordStar" as such - The Learning Company, at the time - was around early 1998. $27 seems to ring a bell, but I could be wrong. The concensus is that these were the last of the Tech Support replacement disk sets, but it's really pure speculation.

The Indian company is not known for its quick responses. Don't worry, they do seem to be reliable, if a bit slow.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

PGAGA

Sunday 19 October 2003

The disk set were a replacement set for faulty disks, but they let others buy them.  My cost was US$15.00 plus US$7.25 for shipping and handling.

Phil

deedee

The WS7d replacement diskettes were $15 in the US from The Learning Company, but all one got were the diskettes. They didn't include manuals. I can't find my sales receipt for the WS7A revised boxed set I bought, but my memory is that I paid $49.95 retail for it, buying it directly from Softkey. It came with a full set of manuals.

I felt there was a noticeable improvement in performance from the WS7A to WS7D, but whether you will see the same thing really depends on how you use WS and what functions you rely on.

The boxed WSWin2 retailed in the US for $49.95 originally. It comes with a manual. I bought mine from Softkey.

The $25 flat fee for shipping from the Indian company could be a good deal or a bad one depending on where you are in relationship to where it's being shipped from. However, $25 for a combined set of WS7d replacement diskettes and a shrinkwrapped boxed WSWin2 package is a good deal.

If you decide to sell any part of it, be sure to post that. I will make sure that the WordStar Users Group also finds out about its availability. Many of them have either one or the other versions, but aren't in the market for both.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

kzfisher

Thanks everyone for the response to my query.

The stateside (Milwaukee, WI) representative for the Indian software company e-mailed me this evening and I was able to send a paypal for $35 for a WS7d set. Kris, the rep, said it depends upon where you are regarding the exact shipping cost. I live in Florida so I was quoted $25 for disks $10 shipping.

As a side note; I was digging through some old 5 1/4 disks this weekend that a friend had given me a year ago and found some back up disks of WS3.3 and WS4.0 pro (just the basic pgm not the full disks) But already owning full versions of WS5.5, 6.0, textbook WS7c - and now having purchased WS7a and WS7d shipping - I guess I only need to get a copy of WS2000 and I'll end up with a DOS WordStar collection - And I really hadn't intended to try that!!!!

If only I hadn't taken those WordStar Easy disks - that came with my Kaypro to Goodwill ten years ago  :)

Joe

kzfisher

Update -

The company from India shipped me my new 3.5" WordStar 7.0D disks from their stateside offices in WI for $35 total.

Along with that I got a softkey boxed copy of WordStar Win 2.0 on 6 - 3.5" disks with printed manual

I am very happy with the results.

Forum Admin

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update!

I came across my TLC WS7d disk invoice - I was looking for something completely different, but... Anyway, I wasn't far off with the $25, it was actually $29 plus shipping of $5. So your $35 for WS7d and WSWin 2 comes out very favourably!
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site