Temporary file

Started by jimbess, February 13, 2004, 01:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbess

I was working on a file and saved it. Now when I try to open it, I get the following message: "Can't create temporary or output file."

Please tell me how to get out of this. I desperately need my file!

Thanks.

Forum Admin

Hi Jim,

You have a limit on the number of files in a directory under WordStar - 256, I think. If you've got a lot of document files you could have hit that limit. You may be close to the file limit in the directory and it ran out of space when it tried to create its working files.

If you have around 250 files in the WordStar directory where your file is, or where you have the temporary files set to go, try moving things into sub-directories by project or type, whatever makes sense to you (documents only, of course). Also try removing .BAK files, and WordStar's temporary files .$A$, .$B$, etc.

Running WordStar under Windows you can get similar messages at times if the shortcut (PIF) file isn't right. This seems to vary from PC to PC.

Finally, have you tried rebooting?
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

jimbess

Super! Good information to have. I went to bed depressed last night. But booting up this morning revealed a restored file. Much relief. Many, many thanks!

Jim Bess