News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

Wordstar 5.5 Need more mailmerge space (memory)

Started by WaU, April 17, 2004, 01:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaU

I have an older computer which I use wordstar 5.5 on!  The reason is the mailmerge feature, which I can not find any other program, anyplace to compete with it.  I have created one file, with questions.  Then another file, which is filled in (when I merge print).  The second file (the form letter), is many pages long, and the content of it is dependent on how the questions are answered in the first file.  NOW to my question!!  I have reached a point where the amount and/or length of all my variables is just to much.  The progam has a point were it will not allow any more transfer of information from my first file, to the second file, during the "merge print."  Is there any way to go into the program and extend something, so that I can continue to increase the size or amount of data (variablees) I'm using??  Thought I't might be the amount of memory of the computer, but doubling the amount of memory, or even cutting it in half, has no effect on the program.  Please Help with any suggestion, small or large.  Even the name of another newer program which will do what I want would greatly be appreciated.  If you are thinking of "Lotus Approach" it will only create a single page, and I need a minumum of 12-24 pages, which wordstar 5.5 will do.  Only wordstar 5.5 has a maximum when it come to the amount of data transferred from one file to the other during the "Merge Print."  Thanks for any comments you may have.

deedee

QuoteI have an older computer which I use wordstar 5.5 on!  The reason is the mailmerge feature, which I can not find any other program, anyplace to compete with it.
I use a lot of applications, and I've not come across anything remotely close to WS's mailmerge feature. I'm using WS7d and make use of the mailmerge feature almost daily. And, believe me, I've looked at a lot of applications with just that in mind. Nada even close  :P.

QuoteThought I't might be the amount of memory of the computer, but doubling the amount of memory, or even cutting it in half, has no effect on the program.
That's because dos programs only use so much of the available higher memory. What WS will use can be affected in wschange. Since we're using different versions of WS, the controls may not be in the exact same place. However, look for several things:
  • Computer (C), Memory usage (C), Memory Menu #2 (2), Memory for mergeprint (Kbytes) (B) -- try increasing that. It defaulted to 4 on my system.
  • Computer (C), Memory usage (C), Memory Menu #2 (2), EMS usage (16K pages) (G) -- mine is set at 16.
  • Computer (C), Memory usage (C), Memory Menu #2 (2), XMS usage (16K pages) (J) -- also set at 16 on my system.
I work with very large files and have had no problems. I don't know about a variable limit as such, although it is quite possible that there is one built in.

Also, have you considered breaking things up into two or more merge print files and then merging the merged files after each has completed its print (in this case printing each to disk as a file)?

WS is lovely to work with in that regard because all you have to do is ^KR to read one file into another file. Also if you work with postscript, WS has a great file merge feature.

I haven't tried it, but you may be able to nest the merge printing using the dot FI command and print the whole thing directly to a printer.

Well, in any event, here are some suggestions. I hope at least one works for you. If not, maybe they'll cause you to think of something else.

Good luck,
deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

deedee

I asked about increasing merge print memory on the WordStar Users Group Mailing List, and a list member using WordStar 5.5 reported that the merge print memory could be changed in wschange at C (Computer) C (Memory Usage) 2 (Menu #2) D (Memory for merge print).

So changing (increasing) the amount of memory for merge print is possible with WordStar 5.5. Hope this helps.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485