Setting Up WS7.0D in WinXP

Started by LBurriss, August 06, 2003, 02:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBurriss

After a bunch of tweaking I've just about gotten WS 7.0D to run in Windows XP.  But how do I get the Windows copy and paste icons to appear at the top of the screen like they did when I was running WS in Win 98?

/ Larry /

Forum Admin

Hi Larry,

As far as I know you can't - they were only provided in the Win 9x series and not the NT series of Windows.

If you use the mouse in WordStar you'll need to set Quick Edit mode to OFF (Click the icon at the left-hand end of the DOS shell title bar, then select Properties, and then the Options tab). The mouse will then work as expected in the menus, etc.

However, if you don't use the mouse you can set Quick Edit mode to ON. You can then select text with the mouse (WordStar won't know anything about it) and press ENTER to copy that to the clipboard, and a right-click should Paste the clipboard contents into the window.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Dmayner

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone could tell how to set up WS7D to run in full screen in XP? So far the only way I have been able to get it to work is to start out windowed and then expand it. While I am asking what is the best settings for WS7 and XP? Thanks for the help.

Dave

Forum Admin

Hi Dave, and welcome to the group!

When you try to set WS to start full screen what is happening? I get a FCB NOT AVAILABLE message, but it's fine if you start in a window.

For the settings on XP I have the following:

Program tab
  • Cmd line: C:\WS\WS.EXE
  • Working: C:\WS
  • Close on exit: ticked
Font tab
  • Both font types
Memory tab
  • All set to Auto
  • Protected unticked
  • Uses HMA ticked
Screen tab
  • Window
  • All other options ticked
Misc tab
  • All ticked except exclusive mode and always suspend
  • idle sensitivity somewhere near the middle
Compatability tab
  • All unticked
Cheers
Mike

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Dmayner

Thanks for the welcome. I was glad to have found you guys.

So far as what I get when I set WS to full screen; I get WS but it is only half screen and it is like it is magnified or something. What I have found is that if I open it windowed and then right click on the title bar and click properties and choose full scren it works great. So I guess I will stick with that. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Easyout911

Dear Larry (and List):

I'm trying to set up WS 7.0d for DOS in WinXP with a new 19" flat screen.  I need help.  

(1) Should I use "cmd.exe" or "command.com" to implement WS 7.0d?  I think one is 16 bit and one is 32 bit.

(2) I recall seeing posts a year or two ago about having to make WS 7.0d open in a window rather than in "full screen" mode in order to enable use of the bottom half of the screen (this may have been for Win NT or 2000 rather than Win XP)  but I can't seem to find those instructions again.  Hence, my WS 7.0d opens only in the top one-half of the screen.

(3) How do I enable a wordstar window to appear in nearly the entire screen rather than open in only the top one-half of the screen?

(4) Has anyone perfected a good work-around or substitute for the absence of a clipboard in WinXP to move text back and forth between WS 7.0d and MS Word 2000?

(5) Is there any way to get "Page Preview" to work with WS 7.0d under WinXP?

Thanks for any help.

Easyout911

Jos

Hi guys,

I also have tried for days to get WS (and other DOS apps) full screen in XP (and W2K, for that matter), instead of only on the upper half of the screen. In XP, this worked for me:

- first set the shortcut/pif up to start windowed (right click, properties, screen, tick windowed)
- start the shortcut, right click in the dos window that appears
- click properties, tick 'full screen' on the options page
- click OK
- a window appears: choose the second option (save properties for the next times or something like that; I am running XP in Dutch...)
- right click the shortcut/pif, (right click, properties, screen, tick full screen)
- presto: next time you start the shortcut/pif, WS appears full screen.

Kindly, Jos