Installing WS7 in Windows X

Started by rkai, August 16, 2004, 10:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkai

I hve been trying to install WS7 on a new computer running Windows XP.

When I go to the a:prompt and follow the installation instructions, the screen displays a message asking me to hit F10 if I want to continue, but my computer doesn't respond when I hit the F10 key.  Is this an XP problem, or is it because I am using a wireless keyboard?

Any other hints on installation problems?  All help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Admin

Have a look in Control Panel > Keyboard to see if F10 is assigned to any special functions and if so, unassign it. Failing that, try plugging in a standard keyboard for the duration of the WordStar installation.

If you still have access to a PC with WordStar already installed, copy that onto floppies - keeping all directories intact - and then copy it onto the Windows XP computer, again, keeping all directories as they were on the original PC. This is the simplest way to get WordStar running on a new PC.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

rkai

Thanks for your response. ?I copied my existing WS7 program to my new machine, using the suggestions in this forum, and it works great. ?I only had to tweak the settings a little bit to get it to display in full screen mode.

I have two other questions though. ?First, on my old machine, running WIN98, I was able to hit ALT ESC to toggle back and forth between the Windows Environment and my DOS based programs. ?I don't seem to be able to do that in XP. ?Is there a fix for this?

Also, my mouse doesn't work, which is not a big deal since I typically key in all of my commands, but it would be nice to have on occassion.

Thanks again for your help. ?My friends always wonder why I continue to use Wordstar. ?I think it is the best straight text editor and it also allows me to use complex conditional commands in mailmerge documents which Word has never been able to do.

Thanks a lot. ?This message board is a great resource!

Bob

Forum Admin

To switch between full screen and a windowed DOS session it's ALT+ENTER, not ALT+ESC.

To get the mouse to work you need to change the settings of the shortcut that you use to run WordStar. Unless you want this for all DOS sessions, I'd suggest you copy the existing shortcut, or create a new one. Whatever you choose, right-click on the shortcut icon and select Properties. Under the Optiona tab you should find a Quick Edit Mode check box, which will be selected - this allows you to copy and paste text using the mouse, but not use mouse driven menus, so deselect that option and click OK. That should fix your moused menus.

Thanks for your compliments.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups