News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

WS7 and Windows XP

Started by cubdriver, January 11, 2003, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubdriver

Is there anything new on how well Windows XP supports dos WordStar? I presently have WS7 running on Windows ME, but at the rate computers fail on me I feel I should be prepared to take the next step.

Mostly I'm interested in pasting from / copying to Windows Clipboard. It was my impression when XP first heaved onto the scene that this could no longer be done with a dos program. Is there any change, or is there any work-around?

(Thanks, Mike, for fixing my access to this bulletin board.)

- Dan Ford

Forum Admin

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately WinNT, 2000, and XP all have the limitation that DOS programs can't access the ClipBoard. You'll get an error saying that Windows isn't running in Enhanced mode. I don't know of a work-around other than writing the text to a file and opening that using a Windows program - not very good, but about the best on offer.

Glad to have fixed your access.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

daybreak

Sammy Mitchell of SEMWARE corp. in Georgia, USA sells a great confugurable DOS text editor called TSE Jr. (formerly QEdit) that I've configured to look like WS for DOS and use every day instead of Windows Notepad.  Sammy faced the same problem when NT came out and solved it by writing a small .EXE program that copies the current clipboard contents to and from a named text file.  Since TSE Jr. has macros, you just write a couple of those to run the .EXE program and to read & write the named text file.  WS for DOS has macros from v4 onward; could those be made to run the .EXE and copy to & from the named text file?  If so, you could order TSE Jr from SEMWARE and just use that one utility.  SEMWARE has a website.

ostrowlaw

Hi,

I had posted a way to paste in WinXP but it was corrupted.  I've posted a rewrite today which should take care of this problem.

Enjoy
Alan
 8)

Forum Admin

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups