Wordstar w/XP, odd looking screen

Started by sashazur, December 08, 2004, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sashazur

I'm trying to use WS 4.00 DOS on an XP machine. When I run WS.EXE, it only seems to use the top half of the screen. This didn't happen on my old machine. Any advice? Pls respond here and/or email replies to redbear@deliveryman.com (I already get a ton of spam at that addr, I don't mind more!).

Thanks,

Alex B.

sashazur

I have a screen shot of the problem here:
http://sashazur.lunarpages.com/temp/ws.jpg

Anybody know what to fix? Looks like it might be a WS setting, not a Windows setting (but I am setting up WS for someone else and neither of us know much about the techie details of WS).

Forum Admin

It's quite possible that the shortcut settings you are using to start WordStar are calling for a taller window than WordStar is set to display. By default WordStar will show 25 lines of 80 characters each, but the console window that's running WordStar can display many more of each.
  • Start WordStar using your usual shortcut icon.
  • Then click on the small C:\ icon at the top left corner of the Window.
  • Select Properties from the menu.
  • Select the Layout tab.
  • Ensure the Window Size settings are Width=80 and Height=25
  • Click OK
  • Change the "Apply Properties" prompt option to "Save properties for future windows with same title".
  • Click OK.
  • The WordStar window may now have scroll bars - don't worry. Exit WordStar.
  • Restar WordStar from the shortcut icon and it should be correcctly sized.
If you want WordStar to display more lines, or characters on a line, you'll need to use WSCHANGE to do this.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Mike_Newcomb

Have just had the same problem when moving from W98 to W2000, and then using Wordstar 6.0. Tried the above solution and found that it only worked at runtime but did not permanently cure the problem.

After some trial and error, when right clicking on the various icons:-
a) program
b) shortcut
c) shortcut on desktop.

Found when c is created from b, somehow the properties in c do not transfer over correctly. Thus I set up the properties in c and all now works perfectly. Opening, closing and running as full screen. Properties used:-

Program - run in normal window
              - close on exit
Font       - use both types
Screen    - Usage - full screen
              - Window - restore settings at start up

Any query, mail me:- m_newcomb2002@yahoo.co.uk

Regards to all - Mike Newcomb

Forum Admin

Hi,

Yes, you'll need to ensure that any icon you use to start WordStar has the correct settings. However, if you copy one icon and put the copy elsewhere it should inherit the settings of its parent. If you do this, do check that the file path is complete (start at C: for the Program cmd line and working options rather than assume a starting point).
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

wordstar

Problem is associated with windows speedup "fast rom emulation. Applies to 2000 and XP.
Right  click Wordstar icon > properties > screen > performance > untick fast rom emulation.
Errol