News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

Installing WS

Started by Hanelms, March 10, 2010, 08:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hanelms

My WS and all it's files are on Drive D:

Wish to move them all to Drive C:

If I simply copy them from d: to C:, what must I then do to run WS from the C:

Forum Admin

Hi,

Firstly make a backup of your WS.EXE, or whatever you have the program named as.

Start WSCHANGE, and then press: Enter, Enter, C, D, A, Y.

Now type in the path to your WordStar folder, for example C:\WS, and then press Enter

Finally type: X, X, X, X, Y.

Check that WordStar can find everything it needs.

If all's okay you can delete the backup you made, otherwise delete the new WS.EXE and restore you backup.

That should be it.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Hanelms

Thanks HEAPS.  That got me going, but with some puzzles.

I followed the "Ent, Ent, C,D,A,Y" path in WSCHANGE that was
suggested.  There was some confusion on my part at the "Y" step, and I honestly do not recall exactly what I did, but managed to make the change from D:\WS to C:\WS.

Then, from MS Exployer, I attempted to open WS.  It opened, for a moment, but reported that it could not find WSDSPCH.OVR, which was there, but I copied a backup of that file into C:\WS, and tried running WS again, same result.

Aimlessly, I created a shortcup for WS, clicked on that that, and WS opened without giving me the "no WSDSPCH.OVR" error signal.  All files were there, WS was functioning.  I could move from subdirector to subdirectory, access the Window Clip board.

But, almost everything was in Black & White, and the WS pulldown menus were not displayed as usual.

Again, aimlessly, I went back to WSCHANGE, could not get back to that "Y" step.   Did change the colors to "standard or default", can't recall which, and that resulted in all of the colors being correct AND, the display of the WS menus being properly shown.

I do not understand why the two things that I did, the Shortcut and the Color change, gave the results that it did?

I have two more "issues" that I want to ask about, but for now will just note that I did not expect the MACROS I had to work, they are are written for Drive D:, but I did expect to be able to EDIT them.  Problem, when I try to EDIT them, I am presented with no MACROS.

Again, THANKS HEAPS.

Harry Nelms

Forum Admin

Hi Harry,

The steps represent:

• Enter: Use the default name of WS.EXE to change
  • Enter: Use the same name to save your new changes in
  • C: Change Computer settings; Disks, WordStar Files, OS, Directory Display, etc.
  • D: Change the WordStar File Names or Disk Search Paths
  • A: Define the WordStar File Search paths
  • A: Change Default Search Path
  • Y: Yes, Change it

I think I missed out one of the 'A's, which would have caused your confusion - sorry!

Then:

• You type the new folder where WordStar should look for all of its files unless any of the other paths in that menu have been changed.

And finally, all the Xs back you out of the menus to the point where you can choose to save or abandon the changes, using Y, or N, respectively.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Hanelms

Thanks again Mike.

Yes, with that additional "A" in the string, things are more orderly, so I went through it again.

I mentioned a couple more "issues", one being MACROS.   But, maybe I have a more fundamental problem.

Does MACROS require either EMS or XMS?

When I had WS on Drive D:, and looked at STATUS on the top screen of WS, what I saw was

Conventiona Mem   Inuse 332k   Available 255k
EMS                           unavail (I think)
XMS                         Inuse 1024 K     Available  (do not remember)

Now, when I look at Status, I see both EMS & XMS as "unavailabe."

What does that suggets?

AndrewP

Quote from: Hanelms on March 12, 2010, 09:12:30 PMI mentioned a couple more "issues", one being MACROS.   But, maybe I have a more fundamental problem.

Does MACROS require either EMS or XMS?

When I had WS on Drive D:, and looked at STATUS on the top screen of WS, what I saw was

Conventiona Mem   Inuse 332k   Available 255k
EMS                           unavail (I think)
XMS                         Inuse 1024 K     Available  (do not remember)

Now, when I look at Status, I see both EMS & XMS as "unavailabe."  What does that suggest?

If EMS or XMS were working on the same machine before and have stopped working, it's a problem outside of WordStar and has nothing to do with the drive or partition on which WordStar is installed.  You need to solve that separately.

Macros should work even without extended or expanded memory; they're very compact and take little memory.  I have a WordStar 6 installation on Windows 98SE that reports no extended memory at all when started through a Windows shortcut, and the macros work fine.