Which version of WordStar 7.0

Started by comvoice, October 02, 2003, 11:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Admin

Firstly, I have no objections to Linux or Unix, nor do I have any towards Windows. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

Unix shells allow simple copy and paste using the left and centre mouse buttons. Windows shells offer similar features.

The WordStar block copy to and from any OS clipboard ONLY works with the DOS-based versions of Windows (3.1x, 95, 98, and Me), and with patches, on OS/2.

Screen copy is limited in all OSs to what you can see in the window at the time, although there is no limit, other than clipboard and maximum files sizes, to what you can paste into WordStar and that applies equally to all OSs -Windows and Linux included. If you've discovered a new Linux shell copy and paste system that allows you to grab more from a WordStar window I'd be interested to learn about it.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

deedee

QuoteIf you've discovered a new Linux shell copy and paste system that allows you to grab more from a WordStar window I'd be interested to learn about it.
Unlike MS-Windows, it is not necessary to be in a windowed environment under Linux to use the system's ability to pick up material and paste it. If one is running the Windows NT series, selecting and pasting can only be done within a window.

You can run Dosemu, the DOS environment under Linux, in any or all of the six available consoles on a single Linux system, which is the same as running it in pure DOS where there are no windows. The displayed material is much greater there depending on how you have WS and your screen resolution configured.

When using windowing under Linux, in your Linux desktop manager (e.g., KDE or Gnome), configure your windows to allow the mouse to continue scrolling down or across when it gets to an edge. You will then be able to pick up more than what is visible in a single window.

In addition, I've discovered that several apps will copy anything selected between the ^KB-^KK as well, even though it extends beyond the visible window. I assume it has to do with the fact that blocking material tells the system, among other things, that it is highlighted, and Linux puts highlighted material into its clipboard buffer.

Picking up material and pasting in Linux does not require the extra step needed in Windows to actually copy (^C) or cut (^X) the selected material to the clipboard buffer. In Linux, highlighted material is automatically copied to its clipboard buffer.

Once there, it can be pasted into all your other applications, whether they are dos applications running under Dosemu, Win4Lin or VMWare, windows applications running under Wine, Wabi, VMWare or Win4Lin, or native Linux applications.

That also includes whether the applications are running on any of your GUI desktops (I typically have four to six GUI desktops running on a single machine) or from one of the six consoles when running in pure dos (via dosemu) or running Linux command line applications.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485