News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

WS4 - Printing paused every half page

Started by thgwordstar, August 26, 2009, 01:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thgwordstar

Hi

I recently helped my mother migrating her computer to Windows Xp (previously it was Windows 95).
She uses Wordstar 4 and prints with Epson LQ1170.

One of the things she complained after the windows Xp migration is that printing jobs always paused at half page. Meaning that, when printing reaches half the page from the top, it pauses and asks the user to press "C" (didn't remember the exact key) to continue. And she insisted that it didn't happen before windows xp installation.

As I myself not really familiar with Wordstar settings & commands (been more than 15 years since i last use WS4 ! :D ), I'd like to ask if any of the people here could help solve the problem?

Some technical infos:
- Wordstar version : 4 (DOS)
- Printer : Epson LQ1170 (i think WS4 uses the LQ1500 driver)

Note: I don't know if this matters, but after installation to Windows XP, I did change some settings in WS using WSCHANGE.EXE. The change involves adding display lines to 50 character lines. Didn't make any other change elsewhere.

Thanks

PGAGA

August 27 2009

Quote from: thgwordstar on August 26, 2009, 01:17:39 PMNote: I don't know if this matters, but after installation to Windows XP, I did change some settings in WS using WSCHANGE.EXE. The change involves adding display lines to 50 character lines. Didn't make any other change elsewhere.

My best guess is that the problem is caused by the change to 50 character lines.  I am not sure why and since I went from WS4 CP/M to WS6, I do not have a copy with which to test WS4 WSchange.

Try changing back to 25 and look for the setting for pause after every page instruction in WSChange.

Another option depending on your mother's ability adapt would be to switch to Write&Set (www.writeandset.com).  W&S uses the WS4 format and most of the dot commands.

Phil

thgwordstar

thanks for the reply :D

will try that

and I'll check Write and Set... sounds like a good alternative