News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

Notepad replacement with WS commands *AND* drag & drop?

Started by Clueless in Seattle, January 09, 2009, 10:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clueless in Seattle

I'm still running Windows 2000 on my little hand-me-down laptop and frequently use the built in Notepad text editor because it opens so rapidly.

But I wish I could find a replacement for it that had an option for WordStar cursor commands AND also would allow me to use the mouse to drag and drop text.

I used to use NoteTab Pro years ago  (In fact I helped develop the WS command option for it) but it is just too slow in loading on this old slow machine, and just too bloated for my needs so I stopped using it and went back to Notepad.

Anyone know if what I'm looking for even exists?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

PGAGA

January 09 2009

Both Write&Set and MEeditor may be what you want.  They are what I use.

www.writeandset.com

Phil

Clueless in Seattle

HI Phil,

I've been using WSedit, which I think is the first half of the Write & Set package, isn't it?  Maybe I got that wrong.

It does indeed have WS commands.  But drag and drop doesn't seem to work in it.  Do I have to activate that option?  Could you tell me how to do that?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

P.S.  Today WSedit started behaving strangely.  Now whenever I open a file with it, or just open the program itself, it opens in a postage stamped sized window which I then have to manually enlarge to see the text of the file I've opened, or to make room to type something.  Do you have any idea how to  fix that so it will open in a normal sized window?

P.P.S.  I just downloaded ME for Windows but haven't installed it yet. 

Clueless in Seattle

Hi again, Phil,

I just tried out ME editor and drag and drop doesn't seem to work in it either.

Does drag & drop work in the version you are running?

I'm running version 99h2.

Will

Clueless in Seattle

"If all else fails, read the instructions."

I just searched for "drag" in the ME help file and found out why I couldn't get drag and drop to work.

You have to use the *right* button.

I wonder why Martin chose the right button instead of the standard Windows left button. 

And I further wonder if there might be a way to make it work the way the rest of Windows software does, i.e., to use the left button to drag and drop.

will

PGAGA

January 12 2009

The program is a multi platform software, so that may be the reason.  Send Martin a note.  His software is what he writes to do his work as a programmer so it might simply be a personal choice.

Phil

PGAGA

January 12 2009

Quote from: Clueless in Seattle on January 13, 2009, 02:55:56 AM
P.S.  Today WSedit started behaving strangely.  Now whenever I open a file with it, or just open the program itself, it opens in a postage stamped sized window which I then have to manually enlarge to see the text of the file I've opened, or to make room to type something.  Do you have any idea how to  fix that so it will open in a normal sized window?

Open WSedit.  Size it as you want then close it.  If I remember correctly WSedit remembers your default usage.   I set my defaults long ago and WSedit remembers them.  I think this was how I did it.

Phil

Clueless in Seattle

Thanks Phil!

That did the trick!

The funny thing is that I swear that before I posted my query I had tried that over and over, but each time I reopened WSedit, its window would revert to that postage stamp size.

But, as the Bard said, "All's well that ends well."

Thanks again!

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Clueless in Seattle

Quote from: PGAGA on January 13, 2009, 03:18:46 AM
Send Martin a note.  His software is what he writes to do his work as a programmer so it might simply be a personal choice.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I emailed Martin yesterday to see if there's an option in either WSedit or ME to use the left mouse button to drag selected text.

In the meantime WSedit froze up on me this morning.  I'm wondering if it's because I pasted too much text into it from a web page article I found on a Google search.  I had to use Windows Task Manager to kill WSedit.  It had become completely unresponsive.

Do you know what the upper file size limit is for  WSedit?

I ran WSedit again, pasted the same text into it, and was then able to save the file.   So perhaps it was just a fluke.

I'm having a lot of fun playing around with WSedit and ME and so far am pleased and impressed with them.

However I can seem to find the equivalent of the Windows Ctrl-Z command to undo the last action.  Do you know what it is in WSedit and/or ME?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

Clueless in Seattle

I received an email from Martin this morning in which he said that the choice of mouse button for the drag and drop function is buried deeply within code he got from programmer, so it's not something he can modify  :(

I think I should be able to get used using the opposite from the standard button whenever I'm using one of Martin's editors.   Time will tell.

Will