Printers

Started by John Boni, March 18, 2009, 02:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Boni

Posting here because this forum seems most recent.

I have an HP 5 that's been doing yeoman service for me.  It's on its last legs and there aren't many around.  What's the highest model HP after 5 that I can get Dos drivers for?  Seems the later the HP model, the more of them there are. 

I'm running Wordstar 7, revision D

Failing that, what other laser printers are out there that I can get drivers for to run my Wordstar 7, revision D.

Preferably something that connects with a USB cable, but I don't have a parallel cable port in my fairly new desktop, but do in my older computer.  (Is there something that can convert a parallel cable to a USB port.

Any replies would be appreciated.

John Boni

PGAGA

March 18 2009

First, any printer which you buy must contain resident fonts.  Check the printer spec sheet and it should tell you.

Second, for Postscript and PCL printers with resident fonts Rob Sawyer and I maintain printer drivers which will print to coloured printers which use these printing languages.

Third, a printer with resident fonts using PCL5 or PCL6 will likely be able to use your current PCL printer driver.

My current PS/PCL printers are a networked Lexmark 250dn at home and an Canon IR400 at work.

All that said, with the exception of one eight page statement size booklet print each week on the Canon, I do not print from WS7d, but use a GSview/Ghostscript combo.  This gives me a high quality print preview before printing.

Phil