News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

Which Versions of WordStar Have You Used?

Started by Forum Admin, April 28, 2007, 03:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Versions of WordStar Have You Used?

WordStar for CP/M
4 (50%)
WordStar for DOS 2
2 (25%)
WordStar for DOS 3
3 (37.5%)
WordStar for DOS 4
4 (50%)
WordStar for DOS 5
3 (37.5%)
WordStar for DOS 6
5 (62.5%)
WordStar for DOS 7
3 (37.5%)
WordStar 2000 (all versions
3 (37.5%)
MicroPro Esay (Extra)
1 (12.5%)
NewWord (all versions)
0 (0%)
WordStar Express
0 (0%)
WordStar 1512
0 (0%)
WordStar Legacy
0 (0%)
WordStar for Windows 1 & 1.1
1 (12.5%)
WordStar for Windows 1.5
1 (12.5%)
WordStar for Windows 2
2 (25%)
WordStar Personal Writer
2 (25%)
Xoom WordPro
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Forum Admin

Here we have most of the main WordStar releases. How many of these have you used? If There's something missing from the list let me know and I can add it.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Henry Bartlett

At one stage, many years ago, I was using the shareware Galaxy word processor, which, IIRC could read and write WS4 compatible files.

Does this qualify as a WS version?

Forum Admin

Did it have WordStar-like commands? I think that this is the determining factor, parhaps moreso than the file format, otherwise you could include Microsoft Word in the list.

I've opened up another topic in the DOS WordStar discussion asking about WordStar clones. One of my long term projects for the site was to go through as many of the freeware and shareware editors that claimed to be wordstar-like or wordstar compatable and to list them with basic details and download links. Whether I'll ever get around to this I don't know - any volunteers to do this?

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Henry Bartlett

> Did it have WordStar-like commands?

IIRC, it did.

PGAGA

Saturday 05 May 2007

This is nostalgia time.  I have Galaxy Lite on my Warp system.  It has some WS key mapping and reads the WS3 file format.  It differed in that it could handle IBM extended character sets.  I never played with it enough to know if this meant that it was compatible with WS4.

Phil

Clueless in Seattle

Oops!

I think I may have checked one of the wrong versions, my memory is so hazy now.

Was there a Wordstar 4 for CP/M?  That was really sort of a repackaged New Word?

I think that's the WordStar 4 that I used to use, not the WordStar 4 for DOS that I checked on the poll.

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

PGAGA

January 09 2009

QuoteWas there a Wordstar 4 for CP/M?  That was really sort of a repackaged New Word?

Yes.  WordStar International bought NewWord and tweaked it as WS4.  It was released in CP/M and DOS.  I have WS4 for CP/M running in an emulator on an iMac as I type this.

Phil

Gene Wirchenko

I have used WordStar under CP/M and WordStar 2000 under MS-DOS and various Windows (also under DOSBox for later Windows versions).

BTW, I do not see how I am supposed to reply to the poll in a way that updates the statistics.  Am I missing an icon?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Forum Admin

Have you voted before? That would remove the options to add your votes.

Update following poll setting change (17 January 2009)

I've just changed the poll settings so you can now modify your choices.

The results of any change should be displayed immediately after you save your choices. If they don't show try refreshing your browser in case it's looking at a cached page.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Gene Wirchenko

Moderator:
Quote"Have you voted before? That would remove the options to add your votes."

No.

Moderator:
Quote"Update following poll setting change (17 January 2009)
I've just changed the poll settings so you can now modify your choices.

The results of any change should be displayed immediately after you save your choices. If they don't show try refreshing your browser in case it's looking at a cached page."

How do I make choices in the first place?  There was nothing that I could see to do this.  Is there a requirement for JavaScript or cookies?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Admin Update: Added quote boxes

Forum Admin

Hi Gene,

The forum software does use cookies.

If you've never voted you should have a check box for each poll option, and below these, a Submit Vote button. There should also be a View Results link just to the right of the last option.

Clicking the View Results link will display the current poll results so you can see these before you make your own vote. If you've clicked the link to see the results it will change to a Voting Options link. Click this to return to the list of options and the selection check boxes.

If you've clicked the Submit Vote button you should have only seen the results.

The change I made a few days ago was to enable a new Remove Vote link. If you see this link, and click it, your votes will be deleted, and you'll be presented with the pre-vote list of options: the check boxes, the Submit Vote button, and the View Results link, as described earlier.

If you haven't voted and you see the voting results you need to click the Voting Options link to be able to add your votes.

If you like I can post illustrations of the three screen displays.

Regards
Mike

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site