News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

WS-5.5c postscript query

Started by jessj, March 03, 2007, 05:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessj

Hi,

I have WordStar Professional 5.5 (& apparently, it's build 'c') for DOS, and a Brother HL-5150D printer, all on Windows XP/SP2.  So far I've been mostly printing my Wordstar files via Ghostscript, having first printed them to the 'PS' printer.  But the postscript I have only consists of 3 font-families.  Now, I desperately need a non-proportional, non draft, postscript font.  (Courier is not appropriate because it is a draft quality.)

Thanks in hope,

jessj

p.s. (no pun intended!)  If anyone knows of a suitable printer driver for the HL-5150D that will work with WS 5.5 that would be good too.

PGAGA

Friday 02 March 2007

Quote from: jessj on March 03, 2007, 05:23:05 AM
I have WordStar Professional 5.5 (& apparently, it's build 'c') for DOS, and a Brother HL-5150D printer, all on Windows XP/SP2.  So far I've been mostly printing my Wordstar files via Ghostscript, having first printed them to the 'PS' printer.  But the postscript I have only consists of 3 font-families.  Now, I desperately need a non-proportional, non draft, postscript font.  (Courier is not appropriate because it is a draft quality.)

The PS printer driver, which will work with WS5.5 is the one which I maintain and which is found on this page:

http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/WS7Print.html

This PS driver will give you access to the full PS character set and is designed to work with GS.  Instructions for using GSPrint with it are here:

http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/GSPrint.html

p.s. (no pun intended!)  If anyone knows of a suitable printer driver for the HL-5150D that will work with WS 5.5 that would be good too.

This is a PCL6 printer which means any on the PCL drivers on the above page should work.  I would also recommend Rob Sawyer's which can be found on www.wordstar2.com.

You will lose some font scaling using these drivers with WS5, but they should work.

Note the only glitch you will have with any of these drivers is they cannot be set as the default printer driver.  You have to trick WS5.5 into accepting them.  Rename a WS5.5 driver to the name for the driver you want to use, then when WS5.5 is not running copy the driver you want to use and replace the WS5.5 driver.  I do this by always naming my default printer driver, Default.pdf.

Phil

jessj

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I must be missing something.  I've downloaded a lot of the drivers.  I just tried putting hpljeuro.pdf in my WordStar directory.  But I can't edit it.  pdfedit says:

"The installation program can't read the PDF. You may
need to install your printer again."

Actually, I got the same message the other day, before I joined this forum, when I tried to use one the postscript drivers.

Any ideas?  (It surely can't mean what it says, it doesn't make sense.)

Cheers,

jessj

PGAGA

Sunday 04 March 2007

The drivers on the site are WS7 drivers and can only be edited with the WS7 tools.  You need the PDFedit from WS7 to edit the drivers.  While you cannot edit the PDFs, you should be able to print with them.  This is the same reason why you cannot set it as the default printer.

Phil

jessj

Hi Phil,

I tried one of the PCL drivers, and for all but one or two font I could see that I could probably print about 1 character per line!  (I'm sure at this point it's not worth getting any raw printing software!)  I'm afraid this is no use to me at all.  As for the postscript driver: when I tried to print to a file I had similar scale problems; and a lot of control type looking characters in the place where I wanted to enter my opfile.ps (or whatever I called it) in order to print it to a file (which didn't work).  Before I give up, and accept that I'll have to convert to MS Word, I'd like to ask the following.

1)Where could I get some documentation on how to write these drivers?

2)Where could I get hold of some AFM fonts, and find out what to do with them?

3) Where could I get wordstar 7's pdfedit from, without it costing a lot?

Thanks,

jessj