News:

Forgotten your login details? Click here to find out how to reset them!

Main Menu

Where to download CTRLPLUS

Started by jackehammond, February 22, 2007, 09:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackehammond

Folks,

I had to redo my hard drive and upload back everything and I lost the program CTRLPLUS which I find extremely useful.  I have been trying to find the download.  Everything link leads to EDZIP and I have done every  word search and even went through 270 downloads in keyboard utilities to find it.   I have even done a google.  And I think I found the download at a Japanese webpage for the author but I don't read Japanese.  Any help in finding this program so I can switch my CTRL key back to where it "should" belong would be greatly appreciated.

Jack E. Hammond

Forum Admin

Jack,

I don't know why these have gone missing from the usual downlaod sources. However, you'll find links to both the Windows 98 and 2000 versions on the WordStar Emulator FAQ page, along with several other methods of swapping the CTRL and CAPS keys.

I've updated the links on the Computing Utilities page to point to locally stored copies as alternatives to those on the developer's own site.

Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Morris

Hello,

Further to Jack's question, I wonder if you could help, Mike, or somebody else on the forum, with my query about swopping Ctrl and Caps Lock in Windows XP?

I run XP on this computer, and have swopped these 2 keys, but I don't remember how I did it. I thought I had run the TWEAKUI Keyremap utility, but on checking the Control Panel Keyboard dialog, I can't find any reference to "Remap", so I must have done it some other way. However, I can't find CTRLPLUS.EXE anywhere on my disk.

I'm now wanting to do the key switch on two other XP computers, and have tried using Keyremap. It refuses to install on one machine; on the other, it installs but when I try to swop the keys, nothing happens. (I wonder if that's because the keyboard is connected via USB on that machine?)

Mike, I looked at the download links to CTRLPLUS that you mentioned in your reply, and I notice there are two versions - one is listed as being for W98, the other for W2000. Is either of these usable to swop the keys in WXP, and if so, which?

In brief, I'd be really grateful for advice from anybody who knows how I can do the Ctrl-Caps Lock swop on an XP machine. Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Ian Stewart (aka Morris)

Forum Admin

Hi Morris,

I think the Keyremap was part of the KernelToys rather than TweakUI. It should give you a Remap tab in the Keyboard Control Panel applet.

If you're happy to look into the Windows Registry, I'd suggest doing your remapping that way. You can download a registry patch (.reg) file to do this from the FAQ page mentioned above; but if you want to do it manually it's quite simple - just follow the steps below:

Find the Registry Keyboard Layout key
  • Click: Start > Run...
  • Type: regedit.exe and press Enter
  • Double-click on the following items to navigate to the right place in Regedit:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • SYSTEM
    • CurrentControlSet
    • Control
    • Keyboard Layout
    Note: Not Keyboard Layouts
  • Check if you have a Scancode Map entry.

If you don't have a Scancode entry, you'll need to create one. If you do have it, you'll need to change its Data value to swap the Control & Caps keys.

Create a Scancode Map key
  • Right-click on the Keyboard Layout key
  • Select New > Binary Value
  • Right-click on the newly created New value # 1
  • Select Rename, and type the name: Scancode Map

Set the key map to swap Ctrl and Caps Lock
  • Right-click on the Scancode Map key
  • Select Modify
  • Type:
    0000   00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    0008   03 00 00 00 3A 00 1D 00
    0010   1D 00 3A 00 00 00 00

• Click OK, and close Regedit
  • Reboot the PC to activate the changes

Revert to Unswapped Keys

• Go back into Regedit
  • Delete the Scancode Map key
  • Reboot the PC to activate the changes

The 001D003A in all of this says make the Ctrl key act like the Caps Lock, and the 003A001D says make the Caps Lock act like the Ctrl (all left keys, the right ones are different).

Note that this will affect all users of the PC.

Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups