News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

where can I find the old Wordstar

Started by wudan, February 23, 2004, 11:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wudan

Hi. Like everyone on this board, I grew up with the old Wordstar program. It's where I first learned how to type back in high school, where I was an avid writer for my high school newspaper and literary journal and now that I'm in semi-retirement, I'm interested in getting back to my writing roots.

For some reason, I don't have the same affinity for the new word processing programs like Microsoft Word. I miss the old Wordstar, with its white text and baby blue background. I remember the default font was either Terminal or Fixedsys; and I can see visages of its "look" in MS Windows Office or XP when you use the "Run" program from the Start Menu.

Can anyone help me locate a copy of Wordstar? Who made them and are they still being sold commercially? I've looked for them all over and I can't find them anywhere. It's like trying to find a copy of Pac-Man! The funny thing is, I see Wordstar-- or what I think is Wordstar-- on TV all the time, whenever a character is writing on a computer, from Doogie Howser, M.D. to the X-Files.

I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Forum Admin

Hi,

All known, regular, sources are listed on the this Web site's Where to Buy WordStar page http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/where.htm. Your easiest option is from either Trio or Vasant Agrawal. The cheapest, probably from eBay.

If you only want the commands back, rather than the look as well as the commands - and you use Word 97 or later, you can use the command emulator available from this site and many others http://www.wordstar.org/wsemu/pages/index.htm
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

wudan

Thanks! That was a big help. I just bought a new laptop which, I believe, runs MS Office XP but has an option to upgrade to the 2004 version. Would you know which version of WordStar is the most reliable given my MS choices and if the later versions of WordStar still have the same look as the older ones?

Forum Admin

I'd suggest that you opt for the latest version you can find - the last was WordStar for DOS 7.0d. This will give you the last of the patches and the last of the printer drivers - many of which are available on the DOS download pages of this site. The screen did change over the years, adding pull-down menus, but you can ignore them if you don't need them.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Chris

I've got a distinct feeling I may be what is known as a "dinosaur".

Every day, and to this very day, I use Wordstar 5.0 running in DOS; it's on my PS/1 which still runs AOK since 1993. I've been using Wordstar 5.0 since the late eighties when I worked in a software sales company in the UK.

I am new to the internet and although my typing speed is quick (quick enough to be able to cope with the different controls which I am otherwise unfamiliar with) I still amaze people when I say I can write and print out a short compliment slip on my old computer quicker than my new one takes to boot up. (I always put the kettle on and have coffee ready just as the "up to date" one is ready for action!).

I'm going to carry on using Wordstar and DOS until the machine goes up in smoke and I am forced to learn how to use a new package.

So, am I a dinosaur?... are there any other people out there using machines over a decade old and software that's almost 20 years old? ... and running a profitable business doing it?

PGAGA

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Hi Chris!

QuoteI've got a distinct feeling I may be what is known as a "dinosaur".

According to my boys (18 and 16) you likely are.  :-)

QuoteEvery day, and to this very day, I use Wordstar 5.0 running in DOS; it's on my PS/1 which still runs AOK since 1993. I've been using Wordstar 5.0 since the late eighties when I worked in a software sales company in the UK.

. . .

I'm going to carry on using Wordstar and DOS until the machine goes up in smoke and I am forced to learn how to use a new package.

WS7d remains my main word processor, although heavily assisted by my developement of the Postscript printer driver.  All my printing is now done using GUI printer drivers on OS/2 and Windows.

QuoteSo, am I a dinosaur?... are there any other people out there using machines over a decade old and software that's almost 20 years old? ... and running a profitable business doing it?

My systems are all fairly modern.  The slowest now is a Pentium 90 and the fastest a PIII 450.  I run OS/2. Win3x, Win95b, WinMe, and Win98SE.

Phil

Forum Admin

QuoteI'm going to carry on using Wordstar and DOS until the machine goes up in smoke and I am forced to learn how to use a new package.
Make sure you keep an up-to-date backup of your WordStar directory and all of your WordStar files. If the computer dies, copy the lot onto a new PC in exactly the same locations and carry on just as before!

If the printer fails, that may give you a few extra things to worry about, but with WordStar 5 Phil (message above) has solutions that will work.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

deedee

QuoteI've got a distinct feeling I may be what is known as a "dinosaur".
There are folks who might say that, but I think the analogy is completely wrong. It is only progress if you're using software that improves on what you already have. If it doesn't do that and if what you've been doing all along continues to work, then obviously what you have is not "extinct."

QuoteEvery day, and to this very day, I use Wordstar 5.0 running in DOS; it's on my PS/1 which still runs AOK since 1993. I've been using Wordstar 5.0 since the late eighties when I worked in a software sales company in the UK.
I started with WordStar 3.3 for a business which I founded in 1982. With the help of a business consultant and using a combination of WordStar and dBASE, we developed a wide range of accounting and reporting procedures, menus for quickly allowing staff who knew nothing at all about either WordStar or dBASE to effectively use those software, and other templates and boilerplate for a wide variety of office routines.

I have migrated all my systems to Linux. I'm currently using WordStar7d and dBASEIV on Linux machines just as I've always done and that includes printing directly to modern printers like multifunction office jets. I see no reason to ever change, especially since all the procedures were customized for my business and are still completely on target. With Linux I've got state-of-the-art systems and software in all other respects that I want.

QuoteI'm going to carry on using Wordstar and DOS until the machine goes up in smoke and I am forced to learn how to use a new package.
My Windows systems are the only ones to go up in smoke so far. My DOS systems still work beautifully (but I stopped using MS-DOS and am now using FreeDOS which can handle the larger faster computers better -- MS-DOS needs patches). I see no endpoint on my Linux systems, so I see no reason to ever give up my WordStar/dBASE combo.

Quote... are there any other people out there using machines over a decade old and software that's almost 20 years old? ... and running a profitable business doing it?
You bet. My business has been going strong continuously since I started it. Incidentally, I've had many people, both customers and staff, who have asked how to get a copy of WordStar so that they can have the functionality that I have and that they're not getting on their own systems.

deedee :)
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

Chris

Thanks for all your responses so far.

By the way, I perhaps overlooked mentioning that I'm not running MS-DOS (nor ever have). I use the Rolls Royce DOS - Digital Research DOS 6.0. It crashes about twice a year which is acceptable whereas I understand MS-DOS crashes about twice a minute.

deedee

QuoteBy the way, I perhaps overlooked mentioning that I'm not running MS-DOS (nor ever have). I use the Rolls Royce DOS - Digital Research DOS 6.0. It crashes about twice a year which is acceptable whereas I understand MS-DOS crashes about twice a minute.
No kidding. My problems didn't start until I "upgraded" to MS-DOS which happened at the same time I first installed Windows :( . Previous to that, I was using IBM DOS. I wanted to go with DR-DOS, but I was one of the ones taken in by the phony error message MS put in Windows to make people think DR-DOS was incompatible and had problems. Since I do a lot of exchanging of files with my customers, I decided not to chance it. I was miserable because DR-DOS was lightyears ahead of MS-DOS. I finally realized I had to migrate away from Windows no matter what. I cannot deal with an OS that puts phony error messages in its error-laden software ::).

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

dunstall

I am also using WS 5.00

If "Wudan" can contact me, I am quite willing to let him have some copies of my WS 5 files for free BUT...... my programme files are NOT complete. I need help too, as I'm trying to index some of my WS data but I don't seem to have the complete indexing programme files. Perhaps "Chris" could help me as he seems to have a complete WS 5.

Either of you are welcome to contact me. As I'm new to this forum I don't know the correct proceedure to contact each other privately. You need to tell me what to do.

I can give you my e-mail address BUT... that would lay me open to that dreaded problem SPAM

Additionally, I don't know if we are permitted to exchange files when it comes to copyright. I don't wish to charge you any money nor do I wish to pay any. As this is almost a defunct programme do such things matter any more. Your advise please on such issues would be welcome.

Forum Admin

Hi,

You can contact someone privately in one of two ways:
  • Click the small envelope icon to the left of the person's post to open your email program with a new blank message addressed to the person. This assumes that the email address is still valid.
  • Click the member's name at the top left of their post to go to their details. Here, you'll find the registered email address, which yoy can also click on to send a message or at the botton of this screen you'll see an option to send an instant message to them. With an instant message they'll get a not at the top of the main page then next time they visit, or if they've selected to be notified when they get a message it will be emailed to them.
For exchanging files you should be OK if you're supplying a replacement for a damaged or missing file, or if you're handing over a complete program and you don't keep or use other copies of the same disks.

WordStar has long since dissapeared from it's owners support, but parts of the code are still considered important enough to prevent them being made available, even for support purposes.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Mycroft

I guess you could call me a dinosaur as well.

I still use Wordstar 7.0c and I started with version 2.2  (yep, that was on a CP/M machine way back in 1981).  As my avatar says, I beta tested 7.0 quite extensively.  I was the beta tester doing DOS 3.3 (still have that laptop, and fire it up once a year or so now), and OS/2 DOS window, all at once for them.  

And before you complain about the one bug where the file gets mismatched, I *DID* report that during beta testing, but it was never fixed.

Oh, and to qualify as a "dinosaur" you have to have executed a debug patch to the Wordstar program, as we had to do in Version 3.3 to allow it to run in > 256K of memory.
My current copy of Wordstar 7.0c was the *FREE* one I got for Beta testing.

Gene Wirchenko

Quote from: Mycroft on July 26, 2005, 01:09:07 AM
I guess you could call me a dinosaur as well.

Dinosaurs were very successful and ruled the planet for hundreds of millions of years.  The latest release of World Ruler has not been around for anywhere near that long.

Mammals squish nicely between the toes!

QuoteI still use Wordstar 7.0c and I started with version 2.2  (yep, that was on a CP/M machine way back in 1981).

I started with WordStar on a CP/M system.  I still use WordStar 2000.  Now that I have it running under DOSBox, I am quite happy.  Yes, it is not a flashy with chrome as Windows, but it is flashy as in it getting done fast.  I have had people get very confused when they tried following something that I was doing with old tools.  Is it "Bwahaha!" or "Bwahahaha!"?

QuoteOh, and to qualify as a "dinosaur" you have to have executed a debug patch to the Wordstar program, as we had to do in Version 3.3 to allow it to run in > 256K of memory.

I do not qualify by patching memory locations in WordStar 2.2 to change defaults?  Sniff, sniff.  I feel so bad that I think I will go off and squish some more mammals.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko