News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

Wordstar stopped saving anything added to a document. I need help.

Started by Elinor, May 27, 2006, 02:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elinor

And I gave out of space on the last posting to thank everyone again.

Elinor

Mike_Newcomb

Elinor - You will not achieve anything by copying, because I think the file is protected. Thus the copied file is the same.

Can you try to unprotect the input file. I think Wordstar will only unprotect if the file is protected and vice versa. If you have dos, check out the attrib(ute) command, part of which is the equivalent of the wordstar protect/unprotect facility.

I use wordstar version 6.0 and would have liked to obtain v7.0 because it has mouse support. I am sure your husband would find these just as easy to use.

Try also the test I advised early - read file, but write elsewhere.

As a matter of interest where are you based? I am in Hammersmith, West London. Good Luck - Mike Newcomb

Forum Admin

Hi Elinor,

The WordStar 5 commands are a super-set of the WordStar 3 commands - i.e., the basic commands are the same, but you get more of them because more features were added with each release. If your husband has WordStar 5 working it may be that he just needs to customise it to turn off menus and other features he's not used to.

WordStar 4 is still sold new - the only version that is! Go to the site's home page and follow the link to the "where to buy WordStar" page. eBay is probably the best option for getting hold of the various versions of WordStar.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Elinor

Mike Newcomb

Thank you for your input.  I haven't been able to try to unprotect my file or files since my husband has been using the computer  and saving files the hard way, i.e., blocking the entire file and sending it (<KW) to a new file.  You suggested alt=F.  I will try that when I get a chance.

After a search hiatus because of health reasons,  I am also back looking for a copy of Wordstar 4.  I am afraid version 6 or more that you suggested in one of your replies will, like Wordstar 5, be too different from Wordstar 3x.
Incidentally, if a Wordstar file is protected, what is it protected from?

And Phil, do you know if Write and Set,  have the same commands as Wordstar 3x.  I could not tell from the site.

I want to thank both Mikes for your ideas and help and also Phil.   Anymore suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Elinor

PGAGA

Tuesday 20 June 2006

Hi Elinor!

I finally installed a copy of WS3.3 for testing and had the same error.  It feels like the issue described here:

http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/Wswin.html

Quote from: Elinor on June 21, 2006, 12:06:36 AM
After a search hiatus because of health reasons,  I am also back looking for a copy of Wordstar 4.  I am afraid version 6 or more that you suggested in one of your replies will, like Wordstar 5, be too different from Wordstar 3x.

All versions of WSDos have 3.3 emulations settings.

Incidentally, if a Wordstar file is protected, what is it protected from?

It is protected from any modification--it is set to read only.

And Phil, do you know if Write and Set,  have the same commands as Wordstar 3x.  I could not tell from the site.

Yes it has.

Phil