News:

Attempted Spam Due to continued spamer registrations to our site all new registrations will only be permitted with administrator approval.

Main Menu

NEWWORD 2 for DOS

Started by pbruce, July 09, 2006, 08:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pbruce

Before I go into my problem has anyone knowledge of NewWord 2  (Micropro) please?
Thanks
yorky

Forum Admin

It may be helpful if you outline your problem first. Even if no one here has direct knowledge of NewWord 2 its similarities with WordStar may be enough to get you some ideas. If you can provide this I'll move the topic into the most appropriate WS DOS board for further discussion.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

pbruce

Thanks Mike,
My problem is I am trying to run NewWord 2 for DOS on my PC which has Win98 (Not S/Edition) but when I run a Conditional Mail Merge the whole thing hangs up and I have to resort to using cnt/alt/del to get out of it, then go back to the C:> prompt and open up NewWord again before I either print the document or save it to file. The other thing is if saving to a file it uses the name PREVIEW.NW if I try to edit or change the name or move it I get a message 'This file is in use or not accessable' I to then resort to re-booting and deleting the file before running NewWord again.
yorky

Forum Admin

I've moved this into the WordStar for DOS discussion as NewWord was a WS clone with extras and the basis for later WS DOS versions.

Has this ever worked?

Can you try rebooting into DOS mode (F5 - if I've remembered correctly as Windows starts) and then run NewWord and see what's happened.

The preview.nw file name is probably hard coded, but there may be additional temporary files (WS uses $x$, where x = A, B, etc) that it may be looking at and thinking that the preview is still open. In a DOS window type: DIR PREVIEW.* to list and additional and possibly related files.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

pbruce

I have always had this problem with win98 before I used win 3.1 and then win95.

When I tried rebooting in DOS mode as suggested I got the message "Can't find NW.MSGS"

When ran 'DIR Preview.* only listed the preview.nw
I have also tried re-installing the original disks in DOS mode but I get the message "Can't find the file to install"

yorky

Forum Admin

Once in DOS you'll probably need to change to the NewWord directory first: CD C:\NW, for example. Then try running it again.

You could also try creating a bootable DOS floppy that contains NewWord...

• Make a temporary folder (on the desktop is fine), double-click on it to open it
  • Insert your NewWord disk in your floppy drive
  • Start Windows Explorer and navigate to the floppy drive
  • Click in the window that lists the floppy's files
  • Type CTRL+A (select all)
  • Type CTRL+C (copy)
  • Now click in the temporary folder you created and type CTRL+V (paste)
  • Now create a bootable floppy by:
    • Insert a blank floppy into drive A:
    • Open Windows Explorer and display the floppy drive
    • Right-click on the drive icon and select Format from the pop-up meny
    • Select the option for creating a bootable disk
    • Click Format
  • When the new disk has been formatted:
  • Click again in the temporary folder you created
  • Type CTRL+A (select all)
  • Type CTRL+C (copy)
  • Now click on the file window for the new floppy disk in drive A: and type CTRL+V (paste)
  • Close all programs and reboot, with the floppy still in the drive
I have a copy on NW 2, but on 5.25" floppies that I don't crrently have a means of accessing, so I can't try this myself.

Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site