News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

ASCII Characters - WS & WP

Started by ostrowlaw, January 26, 2006, 12:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ostrowlaw

;D Well, it finally happened, my secretary of 18 years left, and with that left my last excuse to continuing using WS7.0.  Well, not exactly.  I am continuing to use it, while the series of new secretaries (I'm on #4 at the moment) have been using MS Word (2000) or Wordperfect (8.0).  By the way, most things do convert over pretty well to WP, not as good to Word.

Here's my question, its a bit technical.  I still use an old database program called Foxpro 2.0 (DOS) and I spill out my database records into various formats for my use.  If I want to use the data in a form that can be edited in wordstar, of course I spill it out in ASCII format.  If I want to underline the format, I add the ASCII commands to underline, bold, etc.

To underline,  I use CHR(19) in front and back of the underlined text, the programming would be something like this:

?"This is how I would underline the following words: "+CHR(19)+"This text is underlined"+CHR(19)

Does anyone have a clue how this would be done in Wordperfect or MS Word?  Is there a table of ASCII equivalents to these programs or am I just a dinosaur?

Thanks
Alan
???

Forum Admin

Hello Alan,

ASCII 19 (hex) is the emphasis command. In all MS stuff these were replaced by smilies, playing card symbols and lots of other such useful stuff.

Have you tried exporting/importing the file as WordStar rather than ASCII - that might pick up the codes?

If not, what does Word do with them? Print them as text? If so there may be a way to sort that out for you.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups