News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

Running WordStar 2000 Under Windows 98: Solution

Started by Gene Wirchenko, July 14, 2005, 10:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Wirchenko

For the past several months, I have tried to get WordStar 2000 running on my Windows 98 system at work.  None of the proffered solutions worked for me.  I still do not know why.

I recently started doing programming by shutting down to DOS to edit and restarting Windows to test my app.  Irony: It is a GUI app.

Finally, it occurred to me to try searching for a DOS emulator that runs under Windows.  I was really wondering if such a program would exist, but it turns out that gamers have had this problem.  I am now experimenting with DOSBox.  It has a few quirks and minor problems, but it appears quite usable.  That is good, because I was tired of rebooting so often.

My system runs at 500 MHz.  I note that a long search in WordStar is slower, though not unusably so.  I have not tuned DOSBox much yet, so I might be able to squeeze out some more speed.

You can download DOSBox from
         http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Gene Wirchenko

Quote from: Gene Wirchenko on July 14, 2005, 10:48:31 PM
    For the past several months, I have tried to get WordStar 2000 running on my Windows 98 system at work.  None of the proffered solutions worked for me.  I still do not know why.
I am now experimenting with DOSBox.  It has a few quirks and minor problems, but it appears quite usable.

A follow-up: I continue to use DOSBox to run WordStar.  It has some awkward bits, but it works.  I still keep a DOS window open for executing DOS commands, because the default shell of DOSBox does not support too many of them.  Apparently, one can boot an operating system of choice.  I have not bothered getting into it that much.

The arrow keys are not as responsive as I want.  I find that I am using ^A and ^F a lot more now.

One nice touch is that I can edit multiple files at once again.  For some reason, on my home system, I can only edit one file at a time if I want to be able to save my changes.  If I edit a second file at the time, when I save, WordStar throws an error about a temp file and I lose my changes.  No such problem under DOSBox.

I could probably have things running even better if I wanted to dig deeply enough into it, but this is quite usable.  I am much happier now using WordStar than Something Else.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko