News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

Evaluation Gotcha

Started by Gene Wirchenko, May 11, 2005, 11:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Wirchenko

I installed the evaluation version.  I then forgot about it and went on.

I was preparing a simple proposal and needed to move some text.  It did not work.  Then, I remembered that I had WordStar.dot installed.

Because it was the evaluation copy, 1) I did not have WordStar block abilities, and 2) <Ctrl-X> was remapped to cursor movement.  This knocked out easy block handling.  I use <Ctrl-X,C,V> heavily in Windows.

I should have mentioned in my other post to this forum that I use block operations heavily.  It is truly amazing how poorly most word processors handle some very basic operations.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Forum Admin

Because of the way the emulator is written you can reassign any of the commands to any keystroke you like, so you could move the CTRL+X cursor movement to ALT+X (which is where the Word CTRL+X has moved). You do this through the Tool (Utilities) Customize Keyboard dialog.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Gene Wirchenko

Quote from: Forum Admin on May 14, 2005, 02:30:10 PM
Because of the way the emulator is written you can reassign any of the commands to any keystroke you like, so you could move the CTRL+X cursor movement to ALT+X (which is where the Word CTRL+X has moved). You do this through the Tool (Utilities) Customize Keyboard dialog.

Ah.  Got it.  Is there supposed to be a CTRL_X macro?  I was surprised to not see one though the WS <Ctrl-X> functionality was there.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Forum Admin

For the most basic cursor movement you can use the built-in macros. So for LineDown you go to:
  • Tools (Utilities in the emulator)[Customize...
  • Keyboard
  • All Commands
  • LineDown
You'll find that Ctrl+X and Down are both assigned so you can use ^X or the down arrow key.

Now for ALT+X. This could be assigned to the built in EditCut macro, but then it would only cut what you have highlighted in the document - it wouldn't know or care about ^KB or ^KK. If you change the customize catagories from All Commands to Macros you'll find an ALT+X macro that does the magic - WordStar didn't have this function.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups