Wordstar 2000 version 1 - Can't open window...

Started by adrobnis, January 23, 2003, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrobnis

Good Afternoon,

I have Wordstar 2000 version 1 on a Celeron 1.4 Ghz system.

Previously I had a PII system in which the application worked correctly.  My hard drive crashed, but I was able to retrieve most of the information.  (Originally Windows95 (FAT) --> Windows98 (original release) - (FAT)

In the process, I upgraded my motherboard and cpu to a Celeron and a new hdd to a 60G.

My retrieved information was then put on this hard drive with a clean install of windows 98 (original release - FAT 32) and then a restore from a backup tape.

Now, I can no longer run Wordstar 2000 version 1 from within Windows98.  I can run the application, however; when I try to edit or create documents, I receive the following error:

"Can't open another window for editing or printing-- the current disk or directory is full.  Press Escape."

I have changed memory settings within the shortcut, tried running it "manually" through a dos prompt window, etc.  I CAN run the application fine in MS-DOS mode, though.

I also tried updating Windows98 original release to Windows 98SE.

I have another machine - PIII 500 Mhz - on which I have Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 98SE (dual boot).  If I copy the Wordstar 2000 version 1 directory from one machine to other it works fine on both the Windows98SE (FAT 32) and Windows 2000 Professional (NTFS).

Does anyone know of how I can make it run on the Celeron machine?  Is it a problem because of the Celeron chipset/instruction set?

Thank you for your time and help.

- Adam ???

deedee

I've noticed that no one has tried to answer your question yet. I'm not sure of an answer. Hopefully, you've solved your problem by now. In case you haven't, here are some possibilities suggested on another list at various times.

One, you indicated that you set memory changes in the shortcut. Did you set them to the following?

Memory tab:
     Conventional = Auto
     Initial env = Auto
     Expanded = None
     Extended = None
     HMA = Yes
     DPMI = Auto

Another possibility has to do with the FILES= statement in the config/autoexec. Check under the advanced button on the Program tab for the shortcut to see what files are being used as config.sys and autoexec.bat. How many files is the FILES= statement equal to?

One person in the past has suggested that this could be computer-specific. Their memory settings were as follows:  2048 initial memory environment; using no
extended or expanded memory, and finally, setting up its own small partition.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

adrobnis

Good Morning DeeDee,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have tried those settings, and I have modified the FILES settings in the config file in both the original file and specifically created a new config file to use with this specific program.

The only thing I have not done is a separate partition.  Since that would involve a program like "Partition Magic" - and can cause problems, I have not performed that change at this time.

If you or anyone can think of anything else, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

- Adam

deedee

Hi Adam,

I'm sorry to hear those suggestions don't help  :-/. There was one other thing someone did, and that is, change the BIOS PCI setting. I'll have to see if I can find out what they changed exactly. The problem was that no one could see why it would work, but for this one person WS2K suddenly started working on that particular machine after doing that.

Like you, most of the people found that it was just one machine where they had the problem. Otherwise, it worked properly on all their other boxes.

I don't know if you have any interest in trying Linux, but it is possible to do nondestructive partitioning with a number of Linux applications.

You do have to install Linux to access the applications. That can be done without affecting anything else on your box. If you have a Gb available on your box, you might want to consider installing a Linux distribution as a way to get an inexpensive alternative to Partition Magic for nondestructive partitioning.

There are a lot of other excellent reasons for using Linux as well :). One is that DOS applications work beautifully under Linux.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

Forum Admin

I currently have memory settings of:

Conventional:
   Total: Auto
   Initial Environment: Auto
   Protected: Unchecked
Expanded (EMS)
   Total: None
Extended (XMS)
   Total: None
   Uses HMA: Checked
MS-DOS protected mode (DPMI)
   Total: Auto

on both Windows 2000 and XP and they are working, however, if does seem to vary and I have had other settings (like those I list for WS7 in the DOS WS help section of the site at: http://www.wordstar.org/wsdos/pages/shortcuts.htm) - all memory setting at Auto.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

wlmlaw

Hate to tell you this. But I too just bought a barebones box with
a celeron 1.1 Ghz processor.  Guess what? My old reliable
WS2000 3.5 that I could make run on any machine with Windows 95 and 98, won't work.  Get the same message aboutn opening anotehr window.  Ran through all the combinations and permutations of the pif memory window without success.  Also put in  a File=48 as suggested by the 3.5 manual.  Can anyone pull their celeron and drop in something else to see if it is a hardware problem?  Help, I need this machine at work.  Bill McLaughlin
William L. McLaughlin, Jr.

wlmlaw

I just went to the Intel site and found a notatioon for Pentium 4 and Celeron
Processors.  It notes that there is a switch of some kind dealing with a
compatibility mode called FPU (or FOPCODE) which is set with the BIOS.
The purpose was to run "extremely old DOS programs".  They recommend
it be disabled for faster performance.  But of course the implication is that
some of the old DOS programs will not work.  I then looked at the BIOS
settings for the circa. 2000 AWARD BIOS that came with the FIC FR33E
mainboard, and there is no reference to the switch setting.  My fear is
that because of the INTEL recomendation, this was set automatically by
AWARD and no switch was installed in the setup menu.  Can I get a flash
update or something.  Any suggestions?  Is this the issue? Bill McLaughlin
William L. McLaughlin, Jr.

Forum Admin

Hi Bill,

If you have the motherboard's manual it may give you their support Web site URL, which may list BIOS upgrades.

Although I don't use WordStar 2000 I do have it installed and have had problems getting it to work - sometimes. On one machine it worked, then stopped, and refused to work again. I eventaully wiped the shortcut I used to start it and copied one from another machine (different memory settings I think) and it worked again. I don't know what the real answer is.

Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups