Converting WordStar 2000 Files

Started by Forum Admin, March 01, 2004, 12:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forum Admin

Converting WordStar 2000 files to something Microsoft Word and other word processors and text editors can use is often a problem as these programs rarely include WordStar 2000 import filters. Word Perfect being a notable exception.

WordStar 2000 was shipped with the Star Exchange program, that will do a good job, but if you no longer have the program, and just want the text without lots of little boxes where the formatting codes are, e.g:

MY DOCUMENT TITLE  

One solution is to use the shareware View File program, which you can find on many download sites as vwfile.zip. Basic usage instructions for getting at your WordStar 2000 text using View File form the rest of this message:
  • After downloading the program extract all the files into a new folder - use short file names such as C:\VIEW or C:\DOSVIEW, etc.
  • Run the file called VIEW.EXE.
  • Navigation is similar to that in WordStar's file open screen .. Means up a directory, etc.
  • Find your WordStar file and open it in View.
  • Then use F6 to print, F4 save for word processor, give it a NEW name and press Enter.
  • The file will be saved in the View program folder by default. If you give it a file extension of .ASC you'll get asked a few questions to which the answer should be NO, but when you open it in Word, Word will get the hyphen character and some others correct as it will force it to use the DOS character set rather than the Windows encoding. This should save you a little more tidying up.
  • Alternatively, if you're using Word, set Confirm Conversion on Open in Word's Tools > Options > General dialog to get asked for non-Word files; you can then use any file extension you like - just select "MS-DOS Text With Layout" when you're asked what type of file it is.
View has a batch conversion feature that you may also want to look at. I haven't tried this myself. DO WORK FROM A BACKUP OF YOUR FILES!

Other options are to buy StarOffice (about $50?), or find StarOffice 5.1 (may be free), Corel Word Perfect and Draw used to include WordStar 2000 converters too, as did Ventura Publisher.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

deedee

I use Star Office (I'm using SO6) to convert WordStar 2000 3.5 files for my use with OpenOffice. It does an excellent job, and the files look great in other word processors like msword, if that's what you want them for.

It has conversion utilities for an extensive set of legacy and modern software, which rivals commercial file conversion software. I rely on it for conversion of files from a number of older software programs in addition to WS2000.

Star Office (the complete suite) retails for US$70. It is cross-platform and can be installed on Linux, mac and other systems, as well as on mswin. It frequently comes with a discount from Amazon.com. I got mine for US$50.

I don't know how much View costs, but SO is an excellent value if one has conversions to do from various software, including WS2000.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

PGAGA

Wednesday, March 03, 2004

Note for students and researchers Star Office 7.0 is free.

Phil

Forum Admin

View is shareware, so if you've little to do your evaluation may be all that's needed. If you're doing a lot, then you should register it. The info file says $30 for registration.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Forum Admin

Another possibility for WordStar 2000 files is the new HABit WordStar Converter that's currently under development. If you're a WordStar 2000 user please get hold of a copy of the program and help test it.

More details are on the Announcements message board: http://www.wordstar.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=announce;action=display;num=1095533851

Thanks.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site