Will NOT Start

Started by WaU, April 17, 2004, 12:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaU

I have wordstar for windows 1.  Which I have not used for years.  Last night I installed it onto my HP w/Windows ME.  After installing it, I clicked on it, and immediately after it started to load I got the message, "Wswin has caused an error in WSWIN.EXE.  Wswin will now close.  If you continue to experience problems, try restarting you computer."  Which I did w/o any change.  I then did the "ALT" and got the message, "WSWIN caused a general protection fault in module WSWIN.EXE @0077:00000a4d."  It also gave the contents of the registers, and the Stack dump.  Any idea what I might try?  I already tried yelling! any other ideas?

Forum Admin

Hi,

Make sure the installed path only uses 8-letter names with no spaces, etc. For example: C:\WSWIN, not C:\WordStar for Windows. The formar is the default.

Make sure you have a C:\TEMP folder.

If you have a C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file, make sure it includes the commands:
  • PATH=$PATH;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WSWIN
  • SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
  • SET WSWWORK=C:\TEMP
If you don't have an AUTOEXEC.BAT create one with those settings using Notepad.

Try renaming default.wst in your WSWIN\TEMPLATE folder. Restart WSWin and it should copy back a clean version from the C:\WSWIN folder.

Check that you have at least one printer installed in Windows. When you get WSWin to start the first time you should get a message telling you that you need to select a printer.

All versions of WSWin should run in all versions of Windows from 3.1 onwards, so it's not that it can't run in Windows Me.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups