News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

New error "Failed to write object"

Started by epic, December 08, 2004, 02:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epic

???

Any suggestions as to why Wordstar has begun giving me "Failed to write object" errors when placing a graphic object in a wordstar document?

I have always cut and pasted graphics from, say, my scanner, or email, to my newsletter in Wordstar. The objects now appear to paste fine, but when I save the document I receive a "Warning failed to write object" error. Moreover, when I return to the document the relevant frame appear empty, but is actually still there - just blank.

Running Wordstar Windows 2.0 in Windows XP Home Edition. It has been more or less functional (with the exception of repeated font errors - can't seem to keep the same font/style associations).

Thanks for any help!

Forum Admin

Hi,

Has this happened constantly since you moved to Windows XP, or did it work once, but not now?

WSWin will not display a graphic format that it doesn't recognise, so that could explain why you see an empty frame.

If it has never worked since you moved to Windows XP ensure that you have copied all of the graphics import filters from the WSWIN folder on your old PC to the new one. Also ensure that you copied the C:\WINDOWS\wswflt.ini file - this lists the installed import and export filters.

If it has worked, but then stopped working: have you changed the graphics format you're trying to paste? Try saving the graphic to the hard disk first and if it's not a BMP, TIF, or GIF (there are others, but less common these days) use something like the free IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com to convert them to one of these formats and then try again.

The write error could be caused if WSWin can't save its temporary files. Have a look in your WSWTEMP folder subfolders WSW001, WSW002, etc. Look in these for the files updated during your last failed save. There should be a series of files such as: FONT.!WS, MISC.!WS, etc. Ensure that they are not read only, or just delete all of them to start afresh.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

epic

The error is new; the cut and paste procedure has worked in the past even in XP and there is not a new file format. I am trying your suggestion of deleting the temp folders.

epic

Thanks - I have tried your suggestion of deleting the temp files and that seems like it may have solved the issue. I knew the problem was a corruption somewhere, but I couldn't figure out where.