Line Spacing

Started by ostrowlaw, February 04, 2005, 02:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ostrowlaw

Hi,

Don't laugh at me.  Although I've been using WS since, are you ready for this -- 1984 (it was a CPM version that came with my Kaypro II computer!!!), I just recently took the plunge to try out WS WIN (the reason being that I don't want to convert all of my old WS files to Word or something like that, and I like the WS command structure).

When I print, my text in single spaced mode seems to be 1-1/2 lines instead of 1 line.  I can't find where to make the adjustment of the line spacing, and I can't seem to make my settings stick.

On my old WS DOS version, I made my selections in WSCHANGE and the settings would always be there.  In WSWIN it seems that my settings have to be reset every time I open the program or open a new document.

I do legal writing, and my settings are very basic - Courier 10 type, single (real single) spacing or double spacing, margins, 8-1/2 X 11 paper, etc.  I never change these settings.

Also, it seems that the courier 10 is courier 12 in WSWIN.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Alan
 ???

deedee

QuoteDon't laugh at me.  Although I've been using WS since, are you ready for this -- 1984 (it was a CPM version that came with my Kaypro II computer!!!), I just recently took the plunge to try out WS WIN (the reason being that I don't want to convert all of my old WS files to Word or something like that, and I like the WS command structure).
WSWin is very configurable if you like the classic WS commands. In addition, to the configuration you do yourself, there are macros available for a lot of the block features.

QuoteWhen I print, my text in single spaced mode seems to be 1-1/2 lines instead of 1 line.  I can't find where to make the adjustment of the line spacing, and I can't seem to make my settings stick.
This line height issue in WS DOS is called "leading" (pronounced like the mineral) in Windows apps. You can go to Modify Paragraph Style to fix this. Leading defaults to 120% of the point size of the font. So the line height for a 12-point font gets set to 14.4 points. I also find this to be too much. I much prefer 110% -- that's the point size plus 10% leading (or the space between single-spaced lines). This is set on the Character tab.

The important part about this is that you can set it to be whatever looks right to you. Some fonts need more leading than others to look correct.

QuoteI do legal writing, and my settings are very basic - Courier 10 type, single (real single) spacing or double spacing, margins, 8-1/2 X 11 paper, etc.  I never change these settings.
Set your various paragraph, character, and frame styles to be exactly what you need. Save them in a template if you use them a lot. Also you can copy styles from one document to another.

QuoteAlso, it seems that the courier 10 is courier 12 in WSWIN.
Yes and no. Nonproportionally-spaced fonts have their size calculated differently than proportionally-spaced fonts do. The courier 10 you used in WS DOS was probably (to use MSWindows terminology for nonproportionally-spaced fonts) monospaced, and the 10 referred to cpi or characters per inch. The courier 12 you're looking at in WSWin is probably proportionally-spaced (I believe MS uses the same terminology for this as the rest of the typesetting world), and the 12 refers to point size or the distance from the bottom to the top of each character.

There is a courier that is nonproportionally-spaced. The proportionally-spaced courier is kind of light for my tastes, so I use HP's Dark Courier. It used to be a free download from HP. If you want to try it and can't find it, let me know and I can send it to you.

QuoteWhat am I missing?
Windows is different than DOS in terms of how it handles word processing. WSWin is very different than WS DOS because it was based on a desktop publishing application called Legacy, not WS DOS.

deedee
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

PGAGA

Thursday 03 February 2005

Welcome to the idiosyncrasies of going from DOS to GUI.  There are a number of sources for help.  Macros and updates are available from this site and from www.glinx.com/~grifwood/WordStar.html.

The best resource for WSWin is Judy Miner's WSWin manual which is a download from these sites.

Have fun!  I still use WSWin and WS7d.  I too started with a KayPro CP/M system.  I still have one which works.

Phil

deedee

You might also check the Downloads section of the WordStar Users Group Community site at http://wordstar2.com/WordStar_Users -- there is a WordStar for Windows section, including Judy's How-To in Adobe Acrobat PDF format along with WordStar for Windows Help and Tutorials. Although most of the questions on the WUG mailing list have to do with various DOS releases of WordStar, you might check the archives for WSWin topics. There are feeds for both that and the WSLinux mailing lists (where WSWin topics also come up on occasion) on the home page of the WUG Community site. Judy is still active on the WUG mailing list and still answering WSWin questions. So there's plenty of help if you need it.
WordStar Users Group: http://www.wordstar2.com
WordStar Users Group Mailing Lists: http://wordstar2.com/mailman/listinfo
Reg. Linux User #327485

ostrowlaw

Thanks everyone for your help.  I knew it was simple, yet not readily ascertainable.  Like everything Wordstar.  "Leading"???  Come on.  How would any rational person assume that was the control for the line spacing distance?????

I'll work on it over the weekend (well, maybe not this weekend, its Superbowl weekend here in the USA -- everyone know what that is??).

Thanks again
 :D

ostrowlaw

Sounds easy enough, but I tried and I can't get the settings to "stick".  I go into the Modify Paragraph Style box and change the fonts to Courier New, 10 pitch and Line Ht 12.0.  Then I click on Save and Apply.  Voila.  Everything reverts back to "Roman fonts, 14.4 Line Ht!!!!!!!

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
Alan
 :-/

ostrowlaw

Well, after some digging around, it looks like I have a problem with the wswin.ini file.  I think that its supposed to be located in the c:\windows directory.  I couldn't find the file!

Does anyone have a sample wswin.ini file to share with me and advise where it is supposed to be located?  Ideally, I would like it to sit in the c:\windows directory, and point to f:\apps\wswin  (which is where I have the program presently on my Netware server).

Thanks
Alan
 :-/

PGAGA

Friday, February 04, 2005

Hi Alan!

Super Bowl Sunday, the day churches have a Pot Luck so they can watch a game together.

The file for which you are looking is WSW.ini.  A sample version should be in your WSWin folder.

Phil

Forum Admin

Hi Alan,

In WordStar for DOS you had the choice of two character widths. These were usually set to 12 cpi (characters per inch) for normal (^PN) - which is Elite; and 10 cpi for alternate (^PA) - which is Pica. Elite and Pica are also the old dot matrix printer fonts.

In Windows the main mono-spaced font is called Courier of which there are two versions. The first is just called Courier and is in fixed sizes and is designed to be a certain size at different VGA resolutions. It equates, as far as I know, to Elite. The second version is Courier New, which is scalable and designed for use in programs like WSWin.

Your first problem is that the size is measured as the character's height, not its width! I think you'll find that 12 pt Courier New equates to Courier 10 cpi, and 10 pt Courier New equates to Courier 12 cpi! If you swap the cpi value you use in WS DOS to the vertical point (pt) size, for use in WSWin, you won't be far wrong.

The leading can be set how you want it for single line spacing. Old dot matrix printers used to scroll at either six or eight lines per inch by default (1/144ths" being the smallest scroll size); so that gives you around 10 or 12 point line heights. Once you have the single spaced height set, you'll find an option on the WSWin Style menu to switch between that and double spaced text lines.

The next problem, if you're using Windiows 2000 or XP is selecting the font in the first place! I think this may be the problem you're having in setting up your styles. Here I can get Courier, but not Courier new! Try going to the very end of the font selector in the style dialog box and then slowely scroll back up the list until you get to Courier New. if it doesn't stick let me know and I'll create a template for you on an older PC unless you have this option yourself.

Phil has said where you should be able to find default versiosn of the WSWin config files. You'll need to open this in Notepad or similar and do a find and replace on C:\wswin to update your file search paths.

Good luck!
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

ostrowlaw

OK, now I remember, its coming back to me like a bad dream.  I can't record the changes in my configurations unless I make the changes under Windows 98 or Windows 95.

I still have 1 machine left at home with that.  I'll try it at home and let you know.

Thanks for the help.

Alan ;D