News:

Welcome to the WordStar Forums.
Don't forget to add the link to your bookmarks!
http://forum.wordstar.org

Main Menu

Windows Error 2

Started by epic, December 16, 2004, 05:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epic

A member of our Board who is a computer tech guy heard about my problems with Wordstar and XP, and has now installed Virtual PC on my computer.

Thus, I can run Windows 98 virtually from my desktop; the plan was to then install Wordstar (i.e. copy the files) on the the new Virtual disk and run it from there.

However, I receive Windows Error 2 when I try to run Wordstar and I can't seem to find any info about what that is.

Any ideas?

epic
Bob Cummings

epic

Wordstar is now working under XP... more or less... but since I am still having major font issues in XP I would like to revert to Windows 98.

epic

One more clarification: the error reads:

Windows error 2 occured while loading wswin.dll

Forum Admin

When this happens, what is the title of the error message box (the name in the bar at the top)? This may tell us who is raising the error - WordStar for Windows, Windows XP, or Virtual PC; on the other hand, it may not tell us anything useful!

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

epic

The box is grey, like a windows error box, and it is called a  "Load error."

I may be able to be more specific later, but that's a start...

Thanks, Mike...

--Brenda
Weary's daughter, trying to fix his computer

Forum Admin

OK. Try this: Go into C:\WSWIN\TEMPLATE and rename default.wst.

WSWin should copy a new default template from C:\WSWIN.

I suspect that the default that is used during startup is corrupt. If any changes had been made to customise the default templete they will need to be done again, assuming that this works.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

epic

:) You are awesome! It was  not the default.wst file, however, when I went to look closely at the files in the wswin folder, and compared it to the other places where ws files were stored, there were other files that were potentially missing (and causing the error). After some careful comparison of lists of files, I successfully opened Wordstar.

Thank you very much for your advice - it pointed me in the right direction.

Forum Admin

Good news indeed!

If you can identify the one file that caused this error, and where it was missing from it would be useful information to keep hold of.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site