News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

Converting files from WS7 to Word

Started by Bev.Pease, January 06, 2003, 02:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bev.Pease

After years of agonising I recently decided to convert from WS7 for DOS, to Word using Mike Petrie's Add-in.  I had a number of WordStar files to convert -- some of them pretty long.  I found that Star Exchange worked fine for converting even the longest files.  But it couldn't cope with DOS's extended character set.  Halves, quarters and other extended symbols just came over as squares.   A direct conversion, using the 'filters' (is that the correct jargon term?) that I downloaded from Mike's site, coped nicely with the extended characters.  But, as Mike warns, it failed to cope with long files.  However, direct conversion proved to be fail-safe.  For me, it either worked correctly -- or not at all.  On balance, I found that the best solution was to split long files into smaller chunks, convert directly, and then reassemble.  Sounds clumsy, but it was very easy.  And Star Exchange is pretty clumsy too

A word or warning though.  One of my WS7 files had fairly complicated formatting commands in it, and these upset Word's formatting arrangements no end.  In the end I had to convert to text-only to get rid of WS7's formatting, and the reformat in Word from scratch.  I could have saved time by thinking of this earlier!

cubdriver

Those must be very large files indeed! I have sucked several books written on WS7 into Word using the Microsoft filters. Say 80,000 words. (Sorry! I don't do bytes :)

- Dan

Hanelms

Using the MS filter Wrdstr32.cnv I can convert some WS7 files, up to 100k size, to MS Word, and others, much smaller will not convert.

Are there other restrictions that prevent the MS filter from working?

Harry Nelms

Forum Admin

Hi,

Smaller files seem to convert more reliably than larger files, but iit could be down to how much, or what formatting is in the file, or a combination of both.

Basically, like Bev said, it's a case of trial and error.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

Hanelms

Hello Mike -

Last night I did a little experimenting.  I created a file, 122 pages long, with just one character per line, the first character.

That is a small file, but it will not convert.

I began whittling it down and when I got it down to 32 pages long, it does convert.

All of my files are simple text files, no fancy formatting.  In some I have numerous lines underlined, that's all.

So, unless there is something amiss with my setup, there appears to be two limits for the MS filter.

Files Size < 100k
File Lenth < 33 pages

Harry Nelms

Harry

Forum Admin

Hi Harry,

I can open a 68 page 75Kb file using the converter. I have another test file that's 102Kb in size and that also opens - 104Kb doesn't.

It's a while ago, but I'm sure that I've had much larger files open - I have test files still laying around at over 600Kb and 1.2Mb. I'll try to dig out some notes from the tests and post them here.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Hanelms

Evening Mike -

You can open any size WS file in Word Mike, "if" you select "Text Only" as opposed to the WordStar 3.3-7" option.

One individual has sent a DOC file to me, a convert of a WS file I sent to them, but the DOC file they sent, indicating that they used the "WS 3.3-7" option, appears to be identical to what one gets when using the "text only" option.   I have not fully verified that, but I am pretty sure at the moment.

That, and other cases I have know in the past, suggest to me that some folks who are reporting the ability to convert large WS files are actually using the "text only" option, whether they know it or not.

It's a puzzle.

Harry Nelms

Hanelms

Evening Again -

Well, I just converted a WS7 file to a DOC file, using the "Text Only" option.

I then compared it, line by line, to a DOC file produced by another person, who assumes the the DOC file was produced by the "WordStar 3.3-7" option.

The two files are identical, from beginning to end, garbage and all.

That tells me that some folks "think" their version of Word is using the Wrdstr32.cnv, but that it is actually defaulting to the "text only" cnv, whatever it is.

Harry Nelms

PGAGA

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Two things here.

If the WrdStr32.cnv is installed, then users must use the extension switches to effect conversion.  For WS5-7, the extension WS7 is needed.

Second, the best way I have found to bring WS7 into WinWord format is to use StarOffice.  For students and researchers the program is free.  One can sometimes find SO5.2 which will do the job well on download sites.

Phil

Hanelms

Hello Phil -

If folks are using the file I sent to them Phil, unaltered, it has the extension WS7.

What is the date on your version of Wrdstr32.cnv?

Forum Admin

Hi Harry,

No, I was using the WS conversion, not text only. One easy way to switch between the choices is to set the "Confirm conversions on open" option on Word's Tools > Options  > General tab.

Regards
Mi8ke
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Hanelms

Yes, I have that so set.

Mike, do you know where a version of that CNV dated 7/15/1997 can be found?

Harry Nelms

Forum Admin

Not that specific date, no. Microsoft seems to have resaved the file on different dates, though. Perhaps at it packaged the converter for different product releases - I've not found any differences in the differently dated versions I've had.

You can get the file as part of the Word Supplimentary Filters from:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/wdsupcnv.exe

Details are on the conversions FAQ page:
http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm#Q3

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Hanelms

Thanks Mike -

I downloaded the CNV going through your site, and installed it even though it had the same date as the one I was using.  I then found another, slightly later date, 3/12/97, and tied it.

With all three of those, I get identical results.  One person indicated they had one dated 7/15/97, so thought I would give it a try, but I doubt that it is any different.

I get perfectly good converts from WS7 files with those filters, so long as the file is no greater than 32 pages.  Longer, no convert at all.

I have tried that on a bunch of different files, get same results, so it isn't something that is wrong with a particular WS file.  For me, the limit is 32 pages, and/or, 100k.  

Given that I am using the same filter that others are using, and can not convert files with the MS Ws filter as great as they can, must be something amiss with my version of Word, or memory, or something.

Harry Nelms

Henry_Bartlett

Hi Harry

I would be very interested in the results you get with your problem files and my free WordStar Converter utility
<http://www.hotkey.net.au/~hambar/habit/habutil.htm#juwsconv>

Henry Bartlett