News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

MicroPro Easy for DOS

Started by setec, March 25, 2003, 09:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setec

I am trying to find out if anyone has had success converting files from MicroPro Easy for DOS to Word. The program was made in 1985 and I don't have WordStar.

I was thinking maybe Wordstar could read the Easy files and then I could convert from Wordstar.

Anybody familiar with Easy?

WordStar Easy 1.55 - ? 1986 MicroPro International Corp.
Originally released for Commodore Colt computers, WordStar Easy is a "lite" version of the full-featured word processor. Featuring pop-up menus, mailing list, spell checker, find/replace text, page numbering, ruler, tab and margin settings, import Lotus 1-2-3/Symphony files, line spacing, headers/footers, auto re-form, boldface, subscript, superscript, underline, undo/restore deleted text, copy/move text, page layout, center line, on-line help, and more. For a program that can fit on a single 1.2MB floppy disk, WordStar Easy can perform some sophisticated word processing tasks other apps many times bigger cannot.

This version was released on six 360K floppies.
Total installed size: 1.17MB
"I didn't know you could do that in Mexico City."

Forum Admin

Hi,

I have MicroPro Easy, but no disk drive to try to install it from. I also don't have any notes on its file format.

I'd guess that it's closely related to either WordStar 3.3 or 4's format. As long as you have the WordStar import filters installed in Word you could try using these file formats. You'll need to either try renaming a test file a ws3 or ws4 extension, or set the Word options, Confirm Conversions on Open option to ON. If you don't do this the file will almost certainly be read as plain text.

If you have a simple file you can send I can try this for you if you like.

Regards
Mike

PS, as this involves file conversion I've taken the liberty to move the topic to the WordStar for DOS File Conversion board.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

setec

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

PGAGA

Friday, March 28, 2003

The File format is WS3.3.  To convert to Word install the WordStar conversion filter and change the file extension of the Easy files to WS3 or WS4.

I have East 1.5 installed and working.

Phil

setec

Sweet. Thanks.

setec

I tried this.  It didn't work with the .ws3 extension, but it worked PERFECTLY with the .ws4 extension under Word 2002.

Thanks guys.

Forum Admin

Good to know you've got it cracked!

If you don't want to bother changing the file name of every file you need to convert you can set Word's Tools > Options... General tab, Confirm conversions on open option. Everytime you open a non-native World file after that you'll get a file type selector box. Choose WordStar 4-7 in that and you should get the same result.

Regards
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups