WS6-7 Files > RFT: Where're the footnotes?

Started by Jim, June 04, 2003, 06:02:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim

In converting WS6 files to RTF via WS7's StarExchange, the RTF files always lose any footnotes.
   Is there a special place the footnotes are to be found?
   Alternatively, maybe I should get WS7 to inhale footnoted WS6 files before conversion?
    Also note that WS7 > MS Word loses lots of even the simplest formatting.  What's up with that?  
    All these problems, WS users will no doubt recognize, have to do with exporting WS files to modern word processors for typesetting, blogs, email, etc.  Been getting by like this for years, but this footnote thing is a problem.
    Thanks...

PGAGA

Tuesday 03 June 2003

I opened a WS>RTF converted file using WinWord 6 (I had to tap on an footnote  number before the footnote window became visible); WSWin2, DeScribe 5, and Lotus Word Pro 97.  Footnotes were present in all.  I do have  a

.f#d 1

dot command at the beginning of the file.

Phil

Jim

Phil: Thanks for your reply.  That dot command is in my file, mainly to force the footnotes to begin their ordination anew on each new page.  But I can't find the durn footnotes in the rtf conversion no matter what I do.  Since the Star Exchange filter claims to translate from WS 5-7 versions, I have to assume it doesn't make any difference which version I'm attempting to convert.  Hmmm, assumptions about computers and software...  At any rate what I wound up doing was writing (appending) each footnote to a new note file, one at a time, fifteen times, then renumbering them, sequentially, in both the note file and a duplicate text file, then reading the note file into the end of the duplicate file, thereby converting them manually into endnotes, then deleting the original footnotes, converting to rtf, and sending the modified file on to the publisher like dat dere.  Laborious, but, of a Saturday morning with no time to spare, it worked in the pinch.  
    Still, I'd like to figure out what's going on with these footnotes.