News:

Attempted Spam We have quite a large number of psudo-members register with our site for the sole purpose of posting spam messages. We have systems in place that prevent messages from new registrants from appearing on the forums. If you are a genuine member, please be patient and your message will appear once checked by a moderator.

Main Menu

Cannot install converters

Started by billnmimi, October 01, 2003, 08:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billnmimi

I downloaded ork.exe from Microsoft as specified in
"Q212265: Additional Converters/Filters Available in Converter Pack" so that I could read Wordstar 5.5 files with Word 2000. I am using Windows 98SE.

When I execute ork.exe I get the error message "The specified program requires a newer version of Windows".
I have tried it on two computers with the same result.

Forum Admin

You don't need the Office Resource Kit for the filters, and I suspect that it's the XP version you're trying to install.

Have a look at the Conversion FAQ page on this site at: http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm.

The filters you need are on Microsoft's ftp site at: ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/wdsupcnv.exe - give it a few tries as the server sometimes seems to be too busy and you may get a file not found error.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

billnmimi

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the file you suggested and extracted the files and the readme.rtf says that it is for Word 97.

I have Word 2000. Will it work for Word 2000?

Thanks.

Forum Admin

Hi,

Yes, it is the same filter for Word 95, 97, 2000, and XP.

Remember these points from the conversion FAQ page  (http://www.wordstar.org/wordstar/pages/convert_faq.htm#Q3) and you shouldn't have any problems:

Manual installation of the filter is carried out by running the wdsupcnv.exe file (preferably in a temporary directory) to extract the convertor files and a 'readme.rtf' file. Once the .cnv convertor files have been extracted they should be copied into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Textconv directory. Trying to open or save a WordStar file will cause Word to add the filter to its list of available filters.

To help Word identify WordStar file versions it's best to either select the Confirm conversions option under the Tools | Options... menu, or to assign file extensions to the WordStar files that match the WordStar version. For example: myfile.ws4, yourfile.ws6, etc. Word actually only treats the files as being of WordStar 4, or WordStar 7 format.
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups