PRINTING PROBLEMS with WS7d & XP

Started by John_Boni, August 14, 2003, 07:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Boni

Hi, Everyone, particularly Mike and Phil, who responded to my last, pre-vacation call for help about not being able to print WS7d files in my new XP Home environment.  

While I probably will need to update my drivers as Phil suggested, a little fiddling around exposed the real problem.  I can't print text files that aren't in the WS directory.  If I put the file in the WS directory, it prints fine.  Didn't think much of this because I had my text file directories in the Autoexec.bat path.  

Since I'm new to XP, is there an equivalent to the path, that will allow me to print from anywhere on the drive?
FYI, I have a C and D drive, C for most of my programs, D for all my DOS and DOC texts.  WS is also on the D-drive as well.

Thanks much.

John Boni

Forum Admin

Hi John,

I'm surprised they don't print. However, you could add a path statement to your DOS environment to see if it helps.

In Windows NT/2000/XP the DOS environment is set by the files WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT and WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. If you have the "Home" version of XP WINNT will normally be replaced by WINDOWS.

In the shortcut that you use to start WordStar, if you click on the Program tab and then the Advanced button you can change the initialisation files.

So if you want to test adding a PATH statement I'd copy the AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT files to some other name - AUTOEXEC.WS and CONFIG.WS, perhaps? Also copy your existing shortcut and modify that to point to your new config files. Then add a path statement to the new versions of these so your default files are left untouched.

Please let us know if it helps.

Cheers
Mike
Forum Administrator
WordStar Resource Site

Join the WordStar mail list at Yahoo Groups

PGAGA

Friday 15 August 2003

Hi John!

Sounds like WS is not finding your drives.  Check the settings using WSChange.

Phil